Proxy_cache ramdisk

So I was thinking of creating a ramdisk and then pointing proxy_cache at
the
ramdisk. do you think that will be a good combo?

If so, to the people that use proxy_cache, how much space is it using on
average so I can make it the right size?

Is there any examples of a proxy_cache config?

I see the wiki but I would like to see some working example that people
are
using successfully.

Right now I’m just using php-fpm, nginx, and xCache. Not sure how to
get
the most out of and utilize proxy_cahce.

On Friday, January 29, 2010, AMP Admin [email protected] wrote:

So I was thinking of creating a ramdisk and then pointing
proxy_cache at the ramdisk… do you think that will be a good combo?

Works fine with the cache dir in /tmp on Ubuntu Linux. Tmpfs is a ram
disk solution.

If so, to the people that use proxy_cache, how much space is
it using on average so I can make it the right size?

Sizing totally depends on the sites and applications you are proxying.
As a start, look at your sites log files to see which files are hit
frequently , then add up their size.


RPM

Could you please share us your configuration ?

thanks
NextHop

On 1/29/10 11:44 AM, “AMP Admin” [email protected] wrote:

So I was thinking of creating a ramdisk and then pointing proxy_cache at the
ramdiskŠ do you think that will be a good combo?

We use some very fast SSD’s and that works very well.


Brian A.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM, quan nexthop [email protected]
wrote:

Could you please share us your configuration ?

The basics of tmpfs are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs

Here’s my config with most comments and white-space trimmed out:


worker_processes 4;
error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log;
pid /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
worker_connections 1024;
}

http {
include /etc/nginx/mime.types;
access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log;
sendfile on;
keepalive_timeout 65;
tcp_nodelay on;
gzip on;
gzip_disable “MSIE [1-6].(?!.*SV1)”;
gzip_proxied any;
gzip_http_version 1.0;
gzip_types text/plain text/xml text/css text/javascript
application/x-javascript;
gzip_buffers 8 32k;
gzip_comp_level 2;
#put nginx cache files into tmpfs ram disk that is backed by swap
proxy_cache_path /tmp/nginx_cache
levels=1:2
keys_zone=zone1:10m
inactive=7d
max_size=128m;

upstream backend {
ip_hash;
server 10.204.122.137;
server 10.224.122.138;
}

server {
listen 80;
server_name_in_redirect off;
#normalize all accept-encoding headers to just gzip or empty string
set $myae “”;
if ($http_accept_encoding ~* gzip) {set $myae “gzip”;}
#get rid of accept-encoding header for known-compressed file types
#we only want to store one version of these files in cache
if ($uri ~* .(gif|jpg|jpeg|png|pdf|swf|flv|mp3|mp4|wmv)$) {set
$myae “”;}
access_log /var/log/nginx/localhost.access.log;

location / {
proxy_pass http://backend;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header Accept-Encoding $myae;
proxy_read_timeout 900;
proxy_redirect default;
proxy_cache zone1;
proxy_cache_valid 200 301 302 1m;
proxy_cache_key "$host$request_uri$myae";
}

}

I’m able to cache php pages with the following but I can’t seem to cache
static images with proxy_cache.

This works:

                            location ~ \.php$ {

                                            fastcgi_index

index.php;

                                            fastcgi_pass

127.0.0.1:9000;

                                            fastcgi_cache

cachephp;

                                            fastcgi_cache_key

127.0.0.1:9000$request_uri;

                                            fastcgi_cache_valid

200 1h;

                                            include

fastcgi_params;

                                            fastcgi_intercept_errors

On;

                                            fastcgi_ignore_client_abort

On;

                                            fastcgi_buffer_size

128k;

                                            fastcgi_buffers

4 128k;

                            }

This does not work:

                            location ~*

.(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|js|ico|tif)$ {

                                            access_log

off;

                                            expires

30d;

                                            proxy_pass

http://127.0.0.1;

                                            proxy_cache_key

$scheme$host$request_uri

                                            proxy_cache

cachestatic;

                                            proxy_cache_valid

200 1h;

                                            proxy_cache_valid

404 5m;

                                            break;

                            }

Using:

            fastcgi_temp_path

/etc/nginx/temp_cache;

            fastcgi_cache_path 

/etc/nginx/cache

levels=1:2

keys_zone=cachephp:10m

inactive=7d

max_size=128m;

            proxy_temp_path

/etc/nginx/temp_cache;

            proxy_cache_path 

/etc/nginx/cache

levels=1:2

keys_zone=cachestatic:10m

inactive=7d

max_size=128m;

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan M. [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 8:14 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: proxy_cache ramdisk

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM, quan nexthop [email protected]
wrote:

Could you please share us your configuration ?

The basics of tmpfs are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs

Here’s my config with most comments and white-space trimmed out:


worker_processes 4;
error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log;
pid /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
worker_connections 1024;
}

http {
include /etc/nginx/mime.types;
access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log;
sendfile on;
keepalive_timeout 65;
tcp_nodelay on;
gzip on;
gzip_disable “MSIE [1-6].(?!.*SV1)”;
gzip_proxied any;
gzip_http_version 1.0;
gzip_types text/plain text/xml text/css text/javascript
application/x-javascript;
gzip_buffers 8 32k;
gzip_comp_level 2;
#put nginx cache files into tmpfs ram disk that is backed by swap
proxy_cache_path /tmp/nginx_cache
levels=1:2
keys_zone=zone1:10m
inactive=7d
max_size=128m;

upstream backend {
ip_hash;
server 10.204.122.137;
server 10.224.122.138;
}

server {
listen 80;
server_name_in_redirect off;
#normalize all accept-encoding headers to just gzip or empty string
set $myae “”;
if ($http_accept_encoding ~* gzip) {set $myae “gzip”;}
#get rid of accept-encoding header for known-compressed file types
#we only want to store one version of these files in cache
if ($uri ~* .(gif|jpg|jpeg|png|pdf|swf|flv|mp3|mp4|wmv)$) {set
$myae “”;}
access_log /var/log/nginx/localhost.access.log;

location / {
proxy_pass http://backend;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header Accept-Encoding $myae;
proxy_read_timeout 900;
proxy_redirect default;
proxy_cache zone1;
proxy_cache_valid 200 301 302 1m;
proxy_cache_key "$host$request_uri$myae";
}

}


Thanks!!!

So this is only caching gif|jpg|jpeg|png|pdf|swf|flv|mp3|mp4|wmv?
That’s almost exactly what I want.

Upstream backend is the ip address of what nginx is running on? This
box has 4 IPs for 4 different sites, should I list them all in upstream
backend?

Thanks, at least it helps me.

Danny Trinh
Linux Admin

Oh and I added the following to the nginx startup script so it will
always create the ram drives if they don’t already exsist when nginx
starts. Not sure if that helps anyone else or not.

Obviously change the path and name to your config. This is a centos
box.

start() {
if /bin/mount | grep temp_cache ; then
echo “is mounted”
else
echo “Mounting nginx Temp Cache”
mount -t tmpfs none /etc/nginx/temp_cache -o size=128m
fi

if /bin/mount | grep nginx_cache ; then
    echo "is mounted"
else
    echo "Mounting Nginx Cache"
    mount -t tmpfs none /etc/nginx/nginx_cache -o size=128m
fi

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 04:26:05PM -0600, AMP Admin wrote:

                    fastcgi_cache cachephp;
                    fastcgi_cache_key 127.0.0.1:9000$request_uri;
                    fastcgi_cache_valid 200  1h;
                    include fastcgi_params;
                    fastcgi_intercept_errors On;
                    fastcgi_ignore_client_abort On;

“On” are invalid parameters.

                    expires 30d;
                    proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1;
                    proxy_cache_key $scheme$host$request_uri
                    proxy_cache cachestatic;
                    proxy_cache_valid 200  1h;
                    proxy_cache_valid 404  5m;

Why do you want to cache image from localhost ?
You should handle them as static files.

                    break;
    }

“break” is useless here. It’s just waste of CPU cycles.


Igor S.
http://sysoev.ru/en/

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:44:46AM -0600, AMP Admin wrote:

So I was thinking of creating a ramdisk and then pointing proxy_cache at the
ramdisk. do you think that will be a good combo?

If so, to the people that use proxy_cache, how much space is it using on
average so I can make it the right size?

Caching in ramdisk is usually not good idea, since there is OS VM cache.
You just waste memory and CPU time.


Igor S.
http://sysoev.ru/en/

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor S. [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 10:38 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: proxy_cache ramdisk

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 04:26:05PM -0600, AMP Admin wrote:

                    fastcgi_cache cachephp;
                    fastcgi_cache_key 127.0.0.1:9000$request_uri;
                    fastcgi_cache_valid 200  1h;
                    include fastcgi_params;
                    fastcgi_intercept_errors On;
                    fastcgi_ignore_client_abort On;

“On” are invalid parameters.

                    expires 30d;
                    proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1;
                    proxy_cache_key $scheme$host$request_uri
                    proxy_cache cachestatic;
                    proxy_cache_valid 200  1h;
                    proxy_cache_valid 404  5m;

Why do you want to cache image from localhost ?
You should handle them as static files.

                    break;
    }

“break” is useless here. It’s just waste of CPU cycles.


So I should just really just use cache like this:
location ~ .php$ {

                     fastcgi_index index.php;
                     fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
                    fastcgi_cache cachephp;
                     fastcgi_cache_key 127.0.0.1:9000$request_uri;
                     fastcgi_cache_valid 200  1h;
                     include fastcgi_params;

}

And images like this:
location ~* .(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|js|ico|tif)$ {
access_log off;
expires 30d;
}

That would be best for performance?

Also, I noticed when I use the fastcgi_cache above that it caches logged
in
pages and users see the wrong user profile… should I change the
fastcgi_cache_key to fix that?

HI Igor S.:

Could you please give us an explaination for these ?

Caching in ramdisk is usually not good idea, since there is OS VM cache.
You just waste memory and CPU time.
[nexthop] If we want to get a high performace, can we cache using
RAMdisk ?
According to your comments, it seems that cache in ramdisk have a lower
performace.

I do a google search with ramdisk cache, it seems that Cache in RamDisk
will
get a high performance.
http://lowendmac.com/tech/diskcache.shtml

I am confusing it.
Could you please give us more information about it ?

thanks
Nexthop

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:50:37AM -0600, AMP Admin wrote:

                    include fastcgi_params;

And images like this:
location ~* .(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|js|ico|tif)$ {
access_log off;
expires 30d;
}

That would be best for performance?

Yes.

Also, I noticed when I use the fastcgi_cache above that it caches logged in
pages and users see the wrong user profile… should I change the
fastcgi_cache_key to fix that?

Yes. Probably, you may add an user cookie.
Actually, you should mark logged pages as non-cachable, otherwise
transient
proxy servers may cache them as well.


Igor S.
http://sysoev.ru/en/

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:19:16AM +0800, quan nexthop wrote:

I do a google search with ramdisk cache, it seems that Cache in RamDisk will
get a high performance.
http://lowendmac.com/tech/diskcache.shtml

I am confusing it.
Could you please give us more information about it ?

RAMdisk has no lower performace. It just wastes memory: OS stores two
copies
of an object: one in OS cache and second in RAMdisk. Some tmpfs
implementations may eliminate this double copy.

[email protected]
http://nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx


nginx mailing list
[email protected]
http://nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx


Igor S.
http://sysoev.ru/en/

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:26:23AM -0600, AMP Admin wrote:

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 10:38 AM

    location ~* \.(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|js|ico|tif)$ {
                     access_log off;

fastcgi_cache_key to fix that?

Yes. Probably, you may add an user cookie.
Actually, you should mark logged pages as non-cachable, otherwise transient
proxy servers may cache them as well.


All pages on this site have a login option so I guess caching our site isn’t
a good idea.

Yes, even if you cache them properly in nginx, they will have poor hit
ratio.
However, you may try to cache non-personalized pages.


Igor S.
http://sysoev.ru/en/

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor S. [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 11:06 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: proxy_cache ramdisk

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:50:37AM -0600, AMP Admin wrote:

                    include fastcgi_params;

And images like this:
location ~* .(jpg|jpeg|gif|css|png|js|ico|tif)$ {
access_log off;
expires 30d;
}

That would be best for performance?

Yes.

Also, I noticed when I use the fastcgi_cache above that it caches logged
in
pages and users see the wrong user profile… should I change the
fastcgi_cache_key to fix that?

Yes. Probably, you may add an user cookie.
Actually, you should mark logged pages as non-cachable, otherwise
transient
proxy servers may cache them as well.


All pages on this site have a login option so I guess caching our site
isn’t
a good idea.

Thanks for your information.

NextHop

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM, AMP Admin [email protected] wrote:

So this is only caching gif|jpg|jpeg|png|pdf|swf|flv|mp3|mp4|wmv? Â That’s almost exactly what I want.

No it is caching anything that is marked as publicly cachable with
Cache-Control or Expires headers on the upstream. I am just removing
the “Accept-Encoding: gzip” for image requests because I do not want
to cache both compressed and uncompressed versions (since they are
already compressed).

Upstream backend is the ip address of what nginx is running on? Â This box has 4 IPs for 4 different sites, should I list them all in upstream backend?

No the upstream block has the IP addresses of the web servers nginx is
proxying and load-balacing to (IIS in this case running ASP.net
applications).


RPM

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs