PROPOSAL: The list needs to fork (desperately)

Can someone please fork the list forking discussion to a separate list?
kthx

Pat M. [email protected] writes:

I hardly think that this list is getting “swamped”

    I think the problem is with the user's client.  I had a terrible

time following this group using it as a mailing list. There is too
much traffic if you’re trying to follow it message-by-message,
concept-by-concept.

    On the other hand, if you're used to a forum-based interface,

using the gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails NNTP interface makes reading this
as a newsgroup easy. I use gnus, the emacs client, and that makes
this list look the way it should: like many conversations in dialogue,
not all of which I have to pay any attention to whatsoever.

            Elf

My two cents worth.

I was having trouble with keeping up with the list until I switched
threads on in my mail client (mail.app os x). After that I have found
it no trouble, just like the gentleman below.

I’d do that first before making further judgments on the list. See
what you think.

bruce

PS. I hope I have aggravated only the unreasonable and that I have
seemed sane to the wise.

IMHO the traffic is pretty normal flow for a mailling list. Anyone who
has had experience with other high traffic lists knows that you have
to have some method for reading them efficiently.

Why I think forking would not be good:

  1. It creates yet another mailing list to subscribe to (DRY anyone?)
  2. It seperates classes of users: (a) Advanced users will have less
    incentive to aid noobs since they live on a different list, (b) Noobs
    loose out on advanced assistance, and © intermediate users just get
    lost all together.

The current problem (harm) seems to only be for individuals who
haven’t figured out how to best traverse a mailling list. And as a
number of people have already comented this can be solved by using an
email client that threads the list emails into conversations. Also,
people can create filters as they need them.

Most of the time I end up deleting about 95% of the mailing list
emails since they don’t apply to me. I have a simply filter set up to
so i can batch view and delete the RoR emails as needed.

Dave

D'Andrew "Dave" Thompson
http://dathompson.blogspot.com

Elf
> gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails NNTP interface makes reading this
> as a newsgroup easy.

  • “Reading”, or skimming the news stuff is only half of the story, and
    that’s true, the high volume is not a problem if you use a newsgroup
    client.
  • “Digging” ( searching, retrieving) is the other half, and that’s
    where the trouble is: you are looking for a needle in a hay stack, and
    you don’t know for sure what the needle looks like.
    Everything is mixed up: Windows installation problems vs MySql hickups
    on MacOS, Newbies pure ruby questions vs Rails performance tips, etc…
    The ideal solution would be tagging (my favourite request for RForum),
    but it’s not possible for now. Categorizing is the 2nd choice, but it’s
    the only one that can be implemented.

As an experiment, I will start tagging with gmail. I’m afraid it will be
time consuming, but who knows, maybe it will work for me.

Alain

I vote for keeping it simple. One framework, one list.

Using a threaded view in your client, as mentioned before, makes life
as simple as it needs to be at this time.

It’s all Rails to me!

I tend to see things quite simplistically though.

Steven Mohapi-Banks wrote:

One framework, one list.

Linux/MacOS, plugins/engines/edgeRails, CMS/habtm/PDF, Ajax/Ruby/Windows
IDE, etc…
One list, indeed…

Alain

On Dec 15, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Alain R. wrote:

Steven Mohapi-Banks wrote:

One framework, one list.

Linux/MacOS, plugins/engines/edgeRails, CMS/habtm/PDF, Ajax/Ruby/
Windows IDE, etc…
One list, indeed…

Yes indeed it really is one great list ;) I don't think you will get

much traction for your idea about splitting the list. I think that
having a huge range of skill sets and topics is how you will learn
about rails the fastest.

Linux/MacOS, plugins/engines/edgeRails, CMS/habtm/PDF, Ajax/Ruby/

Windows IDE, etc… ← These all have to do with rails. just ignore
the threads you are not interested in.

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
[email protected]

Ezra

just ignore the threads you are not interested in.

And if I’m only interested LATER, how am I going to find/retrieve the
info, in the tens of thousands of messages, many with useless titles?
A needle in a forest of hay stacks.

I’m afraid we must accept that
1/ the archives are useless, because of the size
2/ FAQs are the only viable solution.

And please note that I am 100% for forking the FAQ: I want a FAQ for
installation, a FAQ for MacOS, etc…

Alain

Ezra

These all have to do with rails. just ignore the threads you are
not interested in.

How do I know if I’m not interested?
If only people would always :

  • write meaningful and accurate subjects
  • start a new thread, and not hijack and existing one…

Alain

Search engines are your friend. In addition to Google, there are at
least half a dozen decent open source search engines. There are swish-e,
lucene, namazu, estraier and hyperestraier that I have available in
Gentoo Linux, and there are probably others.

Now that I think of it, isn’t there a port of lucene to Ruby?

And just about every reasonable email client has a built in search
engine, if you’re not interested in external tools.

I’ve had the best luck with Namazu for my own personal search engine. It
comes configured out of the box for indexing PDF and Word documents,
while most of the others require some configuration to do that.

Alain R. wrote:

And please note that I am 100% for forking the FAQ: I want a FAQ for
installation, a FAQ for MacOS, etc…

Alain

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Right … ferret … thanks!! I think I’ll download it and see if it can
do what Namazu is doing.

Abdur-Rahman A. wrote:

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

On Dec 11, 2005, at 11:20 , List R. wrote:

like.
+1, though I think Rails-Beginners and Rails-Users would be enough.

Michael G.
grzm myrealbox com

ferret

List R. wrote:

PROPOSED SOLUTION:
Fork the list into three new lists:

  • Rails-Beginners. For questions and answers on how to use Rails. No
    “read the docs, fool!” here.
  • Rails-Users. For users who are already proficient, and want to discuss
    particular topics. Example topics include application design advice,
    optimization, security, plug ins, and best practices.
  • Rails-Hackers. For people writing extensions and plug ins to rails.
    Things like localization, selenium integration, acts_as_*, and the like.

Whatever u do please create a mirror of the lists on google groups.

Lorenzo