Peter W. wrote:
Sijo k g wrote:
Hi Peter W.
Have you properly setup database? Seems like you have not given
username and/or password in database.yml
Thanks for the reply. The DB is working properly. It was working earlier
today no problem. As I stated above, I copied over my project to my
laptop with the hostname of the db set to the IP of my original machine.
Everything works just fine.
It does seem likes it’s waiting to do something but is stuck. I hit
CTRL-C and it then says it’s started up the server. But its not actually
running since nothing shows up in netstat and when I try to connect to
it via a browser it of course doesn’t work.
I’m baffled by this one.
Ok this was a tough one. But I have FIXED it.
Turns out this is a bug in mongrel. Normally I would not have believed
this as this was working just fine before and then suddenly stopped.
Admittedly I can’t remember what little I did to mess it up but I’m
thinking a gem got messed up or a bad one got installed.
Here’s the website that helped me out…
There’s a bunch of weird links are you go through the comments about
n1ke (had to put in a 1 there since ruby-forum thought I was spamming)
shoes and stuff… Ignore that. In fact don’t bother reading past
the attachments section. Click on it or go to this link which is the
patch file. I didn’t bother grabbing the patch I just fixed it
manually… Link is here…
You’ll noticed that they replaced the “retry” with “Kernel.require
library”. I guess Mongrel can go into an infinite loop if it see a gem
installed but the file inside it doesn’t exist (at least that’s what I
Anyway I edited the bad file and it works great now.
On my mac the file existed here and use sudo vi to edit it (here’s the
entire commandline command)…
You’ll notice it goes back a directory between bin and lib. This was a
copy paste I grabbed. I guess you could just cut out the bin/…/ and
just shove in the rest starting at lib.
Anyway, I’m fairly new to ruby and rails and am just trying to learn.
This was a baffling mystery to me and I thought it was all in my code. I
re-installed ruby, rails, mongrel, postgres, etc… many times without
success… I hope this helps someone else who runs into this in the
future. It was frustrating. It’s not often the error is not in your own
code. (Although granted I must’ve screwed up a gem somehow for this
bug to surface only on this one computer. )
Thanks for the prior responses as well.