Problems with secured IE

Hi All,

I’m webmaster of a number of websites, and several people have reported
that they are having problems using some of my sites

They are all using versions of IE that are in libraries or large
corporate installations and thus heavily secured.

One gets the following error:

"Internet explorer cannot download coachmaster.htm from
bobgriffiths.com.

Internet Explorer has not been able to open the internet site. The
requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try
later. "

There appeared to be no break in service at the time - visitors arrived
a few minutes before and after the time. No error in the log.

Three others are having problems when using the long polling module. If
they are using a secured version of IE they get repeating messages.
Normal IE and all other browsers I have tested work just fine.

Two others report that they are getting a screen full of characters.
This appears to be that the browser has claimed it can handle gzip
but actually attempts to display the gzipped file. I have disabled
gzip on the site and we shall see if this is a solution.

The common elements are:-
all the users are on secured machines on corporate sites.
only one of my customers is effected.
the server is nginx 0.7.67
The pages are processed by php via fastcgi.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening - and what I can do about
it. “Cannot reproduce” is wearing a bit thin :slight_smile:

Regards

Ian

On 8/24/10 6:19 AM, Ian H. wrote:

"Internet explorer cannot download coachmaster.htm from bobgriffiths.com.

Internet Explorer has not been able to open the internet site. The
requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try
later. "

That page contains an embedded YouTube video. Many corporate and library
networks block access to YouTube.

but actually attempts to display the gzipped file. I have disabled

Regards

Ian

Jim O.

Ian,

You’re forcing Gzip encoding to all clients even if they do not send
“accept encoding” request header. You even don’t send content-encoding
in the answer which is also incorrect. Even if client says “I do not
support gzip” you are sending it.

Other warnings about your server behavior are her:

Please note, that if you’d like to force gzip to some IE6 and other
situations when client would understand gzip answer but did not send
Accept-Encoding you may read these notes from Velocity 2010
presentation:

http://en.oreilly.com/velocity2010/public/schedule/detail/14334

Alex.

[...]

nginx mailing list
[email protected]
http://nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx

On 25/08/2010 02:21, Alexandr Sergeyev wrote:

Ian,

You’re forcing Gzip encoding to all clients even if they do not send “accept encoding” request header. You even don’t send content-encoding in the answer which is also incorrect. Even if client says “I do not support gzip” you are sending it.

Other warnings about your server behavior are her:
REDbot: <http://bobgriffiths.com/>

Hi Alexandr,

Thanks for the heads up - I did not know.

That paticular site is using phpCMS - and it appears that between phpCMS
and php 5.2 things are a real mess.

Next test is to replace the processed page with a static one, and see if
that helps.

Regards

Ian