Problems w/ dRb on Windows


#1

Hey Guys,

I just downloaded the full dRb package (from Masatoshi SEKI’s site) and
installed it on my windows box. I’ve tried running two of the samples
but in both cases, the console just hangs. I’ve tried the darray*.rb
and dchat*.rb programs (remote calculator and chat) with no luck. In
both cases, the server programs starts up and sits patiently. When I
start up the client’s next they just hang… A sample is given below:

server console

C:\home\examples\drb-2.0.4\sample>ruby dchats.rb
druby://Ceteganda:4118
[return] to exit.

client console

C:\home\examples\drb-2.0.4\sample>ruby dchatc.rb druby://Ceteganda:4118
Sonny

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Sonny.


#2

On Jul 30, 2007, at 22:48, Sonny C. wrote:

C:\home\examples\drb-2.0.4\sample>ruby dchats.rb
druby://Ceteganda:4118
[return] to exit.

client console

C:\home\examples\drb-2.0.4\sample>ruby dchatc.rb druby://Ceteganda:
4118
Sonny

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Make sure that your forward and reverse DNS entries match for your
local machine. You’ll probably want to turn of IPv6 too (unless
you’re actually using it).

I don’t know what tools let you do that on windows.


#3

2007/7/31, Sonny C. removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

C:\home\examples\drb-2.0.4\sample>ruby dchats.rb
druby://Ceteganda:4118
[return] to exit.

client console

C:\home\examples\drb-2.0.4\sample>ruby dchatc.rb druby://Ceteganda:4118
Sonny

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Might be related to blocking issues in the Windows console. Not
sure. I always use the cygwin version and did not experience those.

Kind regards

robert


#4

Robert K. wrote:

Might be related to blocking issues in the Windows console. Not
sure. I always use the cygwin version and did not experience those.

Kind regards

robert

Hmmm… I just installed cywin and with no better luck :"(


#5

Eric H. wrote:

Make sure that your forward and reverse DNS entries match for your
local machine. You’ll probably want to turn of IPv6 too (unless
you’re actually using it).

I don’t know what tools let you do that on windows.

? So you’re saying I need to configure my puter as DNS Server?

I’ve modified my hosts file so that localhost and Ceteganda both map to
127.0.0.1… alas no better luck. Any other suggestions?


#6

Eric H. wrote:

Changing the hosts file should be good enough. Check to make sure
that it isn’t blocking everything on gets, too, like Robert suggested.

Hey Eric,

How do I check if it is blocking on gets? How do I correct if it is?

Sonny.


#7

On Jul 31, 2007, at 22:05, Sonny C. wrote:

map to
127.0.0.1… alas no better luck. Any other suggestions?

Changing the hosts file should be good enough. Check to make sure
that it isn’t blocking everything on gets, too, like Robert suggested.


#8

On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:29, Sonny C. wrote:

Eric H. wrote:

Changing the hosts file should be good enough. Check to make sure
that it isn’t blocking everything on gets, too, like Robert
suggested.

Hey Eric,

How do I check if it is blocking on gets? How do I correct if it is?

ruby -e ‘Thread.start do loop do sleep 1; puts “.”; end; end; gets’

Should print ‘.’ until you hit enter.

If it doesn’t, remove ‘gets’ from the examples.