Problems using Gettext 1.90.0 update_pofiles

Hi,

I’m a newbie to Ruby and Rails. I am following Sascha E.'s tutorial
on Gettext at http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/chapter/105#page298.
This tutorial describes a step in which update_pofiles is used to
generate the .pot and .po files from .rb and .rhtml files containing
gettext calls. However, when I try to use this from rake, it only seems
to partially succeed. I see this error:

C:\Users\Vaughan\Ruby\test_app>rake updatepo --trace
(in C:/Users/Vaughan/Ruby/test_app)
** Invoke updatepo (first_time)
** Execute updatepo
po/testapp.pot
rake aborted!
No such file or directory - msgmerge po/testapp.pot tmp.pot
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/gettext-1.90.0/lib/gettext/utils.rb:51:in
``’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/gettext-1.90.0/lib/gettext/utils.rb:51:in
msgmer ge' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/gettext-1.90.0/lib/gettext/utils.rb:74:inmsgmer
ge_all’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/gettext-1.90.0/lib/gettext/utils.rb:123:in
updat e_pofiles' C:/Users/Vaughan/Ruby/test_app/lib/tasks/updatepo.rake:14 c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:546:incall’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:546:in execute' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:541:ineach’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:541:in execute' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:508:ininvoke_with_call_c
hain’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:501:in
synchronize' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:501:ininvoke_with_call_c
hain’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:494:in invoke' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1931:ininvoke_task’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1909:in
top_level' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1909:ineach’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1909:in
top_level' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1948:instandard_exceptio
n_handling’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1903:in
top_level' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1881:inrun’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1948:in
standard_exceptio n_handling' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1878:inrun’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/bin/rake:31
c:/ruby/bin/rake:19:in `load’
c:/ruby/bin/rake:19

This produced a testapp.pot file, but no .po files in the relevant
subdirectories.
The content of the testapp.pot included:

#: app/controllers/application.rb:6
msgid “blah”
msgstr “”

I tried changing utils.rb to call rmsgmerge instead of msgmerge, but
this seemed to make things worse, as I ended up with a testapp.pot only
with no msgid/msgstr pairs in it (the error message disappears).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Vaughan.

Make the language-specific subdirectories in /po by hand, then copy the
.pot file in to each of the folders, renaming it to .po in the process.
Now, running updatepo will update the template as well as the .po files
automatically. This is how I’ve always done it, as I don’t believe that
the rake task creates the directories and copies the files for you.

Hope this helps,
Max

Hi Max,

Yes, that’s it! I just need to ignore the error messages
generated by the rake updatepo step and create the .po
files by hand as you say.

Thanks for your help,
Vaughan.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs