Problem with WXGUI Widgets

Hi,

I seem to be having an issue with a few of the GRC WX GUI Widgets,
namely the FFT Sink and Scope Sink, in the latest release (3.5.0). My
flowgraphs now exit immediately, without error. I’ve constructed a
simple flowgraph consisting of a signal source, throttle, and FFT
Sink/Scope Sink to test this and it exits immediately after execution.
The only message I receive is “>>> Done”. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Jordan O.
[email protected]wrote:

Jordan

It might help to remove all of the old GNU Radio installed files from
your
system (in prefix/lib/libgnuradio*,
prefix/lib/python2.X/dist-packages/gnuradio, prefix/include/gnuradio,
prefix/share/doc/gnuradio, prefix/share/gnuradio).

You shouldn’t have to do this, but it seems a common cause of problems
when
upgrading.

Then reinstall and make sure to run ldconfig.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help. I’ve tried manually deleting all of the GNU Radio
files in the recommended locations, reinstalling, and performing a ‘sudo
ldconfig’, but the problem still persists. You mentioned a few install
directories not listed in the FAQ’s “The problem of multiple installs”
section. Do you know if there are any other install files I should
delete before reinstalling? Thanks again!

[...]

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Jordan O.
[email protected]wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help. I’ve tried manually deleting all of the GNU Radio
files in the recommended locations, reinstalling, and performing a ‘sudo
ldconfig’, but the problem still persists. You mentioned a few install
directories not listed in the FAQ’s “The problem of multiple installs”
section. Do you know if there are any other install files I should delete
before reinstalling? Thanks again!

Jordan

That FAQ does list all of the install directories; I was just a bit more
explicit in my email about where they are (subdirs in lib and share, for
example; and I missed the bin directories). That should be it; anything
else
shouldn’t be causing you problems.

What OS are you running? Are you building with cmake or autotools? Any
configure-time failures?

Tom

On Oct 25, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Tom R. wrote:

That FAQ does list all of the install directories; I was just a bit more
explicit in my email about where they are (subdirs in lib and share, for example;
and I missed the bin directories). That should be it; anything else shouldn’t be
causing you problems.

What OS are you running? Are you building with cmake or autotools? Any
configure-time failures?

I’m running Ubuntu 11.04 and am building with cmake. I don’t have any
configure-time failures. The only disabled components are gr-comedi and
gr-shd. Again, I appreciate your help.

any other install files I should delete before reinstalling?

What OS are you running? Are you building with cmake or autotools? Any
Cc: [email protected] mailto:[email protected]
I seem to be having an issue with a few of the GRC WX GUI Widgets,

I did a build-from-cmake on a Ubuntu 10.10 system this afternoon, and
the WX GUI sinks work just fine afterwards. I did have to
do a “sudo ldconfig” when I was done, but that was it.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Tom R. [email protected]
wrote:

What OS are you running? Are you building with cmake or autotools? Any
I have run all of these on both Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.10.
So I had a weird thing happen to my wx on Ubuntu 11.04 the other day.
After an update of something not wx-related, my python-wx was horribly
broken.

You can test if that is the case with:

python -c “import wx; print wx.version()”

I was able to remedy the issue by removing and reinstalling wx:

sudo apt-get --purge remove python-wxgtk2.8 wx2.8-headers
libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-dev libwxbase2.8-0

sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.8 wx2.8-headers libwxgtk2.8-0
libwxbase2.8-dev libwxbase2.8-0 gnuplot gnuplot-x11 isag
libwxbase2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-dev libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev
python-wxgtk2.8 wx2.8-headers

Hope that helps you
Jason

The WX GUI examples exhibit the same behavior, but the QT examples do
work. However, if I try to use a QT time sink in GRC, I get the
following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/jotomo/Desktop/top_block.py”, line 57, in
tb = top_block()
File “/home/jotomo/Desktop/top_block.py”, line 39, in init
self.top_layout.addWidget(self._qtgui_time_sink_x_0_win)
File
“/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/gr/top_block.py”, line
94, in getattr
return getattr(self._tb, name)
AttributeError: ‘gr_top_block_sptr’ object has no attribute ‘top_layout’

There seems to be many problems with my installation, as other blocks
fail in GRC too. For example, the PSK demod block from gr-digital
gives:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/jotomo/Desktop/top_block.py”, line 64, in
tb = top_block()
File “/home/jotomo/Desktop/top_block.py”, line 35, in init
mod_code=gray,
NameError: global name ‘gray’ is not defined

I will try Jason’s solution and see if that cures anything. Thanks for
all the help!

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Jordan O.
[email protected]wrote:

I’m running Ubuntu 11.04 and am building with cmake. I don’t have any
configure-time failures. The only disabled components are gr-comedi and
gr-shd. Again, I appreciate your help.

At a loss right now. Have you tried any of the examples in the code?
uhd_fft.py or anything in gnuradio-examples/grc?

How about the qtgui? gr-qtgui/examples/pyqt_example_c.py?

On 10/25/2011 02:37 PM, Jordan O. wrote:

AttributeError: ‘gr_top_block_sptr’ object has no attribute ‘top_layout’

Those errors make me think this is the problem of multiple installs.
-josh

Hi everybody,

I also get the following message after building the gnuradio-uhd using
the build-gnuradioscript that Marc provided, setting right the
PYTHONPATH and executing “sudo ldconfig”,

linux; GNU C++ version 4.5.2; Boost_104200; UHD_003.004.000-c09e881

Error importing GNU Radio’s wxgui. Please make sure gr-wxgui is installed.

Moreover, some block in the gnuradio-companion concerning a simple dpsk
receiver and transmitter are also missing.

I have tried what it was suggested above by Marc and Jason in order to
deal with the multiple installs but there was no improvement, still
getting the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George

I am running on
-Ubuntu 11.04
-USRP2 + RFX2400 daughterboards.

Unfortunately, I was not successful in solving the WX GUI problem. The
QT problem was solved (of course) by changing the Generate Options
parameter in the Options block to QT GUI.