Problem with Rmagick and simple captcha in Godaddy's ROR

I am running into a problem with Godaddy’s Ruby on Rails (shared
hosting) when trying to use simple captcha plugin with Rmagick. Here is
the error:
sh: line 1: gs: command not found
sh: line 1: gs: command not found
RMagick: unable to read font arial'. RMagick: Postscript delegate failed/tmp/magick-XX4CNdDE’.
sh: line 1: gs: command not found
sh: line 1: gs: command not found
RMagick: unable to read font arial'. RMagick: Postscript delegate failed/tmp/magick-XXinMRaI’.

Any idea? Thanks for your help.

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 22:25 +0100, Leo Chan wrote:

I am running into a problem with Godaddy’s Ruby on Rails (shared
hosting) when trying to use simple captcha plugin with Rmagick. Here is
the error:
sh: line 1: gs: command not found

Hey Leo -

FWIW, I did a captcha thing for a client a while back. Rather than
trying to set up a bunch of stuff on the server to generate the images
in realtime, I generated a couple thousand images on my workstation
along with the SQL necessary to load them up (e.g., INSERT INTO captcha
(filename, word) VALUES (‘1.jpg’, ‘zgysd998’)). Then I put the files on
the server in a directory that Apache could access, loaded up the SQL,
and wrote a little code to generate the img tag and whatnot.

It was nice and fast since the images were just static files, and we
could repopulate the table with new captchas just by rerunning a script.
Food for thought, anyhow…

Yours,

Tom
http://generatingparserswithjavacc.com/

On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Leo Chan wrote:

sh: line 1: gs: command not found
RMagick: unable to read font arial'. RMagick: Postscript delegate failed/tmp/magick-XXinMRaI’.

Any idea? Thanks for your help.

I’m not familiar with GoDaddy’s hosting service as I run a hosting
firm… but from what I can see, it looks like maybe GhostScript isn’t
installed on the server…

You might talk to their technical support.

Robby


Robby R.
Founder and Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Design, Development, and Hosting with Ruby on Rails


http://www.robbyonrails.com/

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]

Thanks Tom. Found out the problem is GoDaddy didn’t install GhostScript
as Robby’s post has suggested. I ended up using recaptcha and a ruby
plugin to talk to recaptcha server. It was simple enough and it only
takes me less than an hour to implement. Also the added bonus is
recaptcha also support audio, not just visual images. I thought that is
pretty cool.

Leo

Tom C. wrote:

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 22:25 +0100, Leo Chan wrote:

I am running into a problem with Godaddy’s Ruby on Rails (shared
hosting) when trying to use simple captcha plugin with Rmagick. Here is
the error:
sh: line 1: gs: command not found

Hey Leo -

FWIW, I did a captcha thing for a client a while back. Rather than
trying to set up a bunch of stuff on the server to generate the images
in realtime, I generated a couple thousand images on my workstation
along with the SQL necessary to load them up (e.g., INSERT INTO captcha
(filename, word) VALUES (‘1.jpg’, ‘zgysd998’)). Then I put the files on
the server in a directory that Apache could access, loaded up the SQL,
and wrote a little code to generate the img tag and whatnot.

It was nice and fast since the images were just static files, and we
could repopulate the table with new captchas just by rerunning a script.
Food for thought, anyhow…

Yours,

Tom
http://generatingparserswithjavacc.com/

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:18 +0100, Leo Chan wrote:

Thanks Tom. Found out the problem is GoDaddy didn’t install GhostScript
as Robby’s post has suggested. I ended up using recaptcha and a ruby
plugin to talk to recaptcha server. It was simple enough and it only
takes me less than an hour to implement. Also the added bonus is
recaptcha also support audio, not just visual images. I thought that is
pretty cool.

Ah, cool, yup, that is nice!

Tom

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs