Problem with encoding - characters such as öäü

Hi

I’m trying to use german characters on a ruby on rails application, but
for ü get ? on dropwdown menus. The database, tables and fields are
encoded utf8_general_ci. I have this in my application controller:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base

before_filter :set_charset
before_filter :configure_charsets

def set_charset
@headers[“Content-Type”] = “text/html; charset=utf-8”
end

def configure_charsets
@response.headers[“Content-Type”] = “text/html; charset=utf-8”
end

end

This in my environment.rb:

ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute ‘SET NAMES UTF8’

and this in my database.yml

Does anyone have an idea why this is not working (I can see using a
breakpoint that it is wrong when imported into rails from mysql).

Many thanks

Darren

Darren E. wrote:

Hi

I’m trying to use german characters on a ruby on rails application, but
for ü get ? on dropwdown menus. The database, tables and fields are
encoded utf8_general_ci. I have this in my application controller:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base

before_filter :set_charset
before_filter :configure_charsets

def set_charset
@headers[“Content-Type”] = “text/html; charset=utf-8”
end

def configure_charsets
@response.headers[“Content-Type”] = “text/html; charset=utf-8”
end

end

This in my environment.rb:

ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute ‘SET NAMES UTF8’

and this in my database.yml

Does anyone have an idea why this is not working (I can see using a
breakpoint that it is wrong when imported into rails from mysql).

Many thanks

Darren
put this in hte database.yml

adapter: mysql
database: db_development
encoding: utf8
username: root
password:
host: 127.0.0.1

works for me

Hi Darren,

2007/1/18, Darren E. [email protected]:

Does anyone have an idea why this is not working (I can see using a
breakpoint that it is wrong when imported into rails from mysql).

Did you save your templates as UTF8? Did you use

in your header?

With this 2 things I never had any trouble in Rails with german umlauts
:wink:

Beate

Hi

Thanks for the replies. It still doesn’t work, even with these
modifications.

It’s very strange, any other thoughts would be useful - I have to solve
this somehow!!

Thanks

Darren

Beate P. wrote:

Hi Darren,

2007/1/18, Darren E. [email protected]:

Does anyone have an idea why this is not working (I can see using a
breakpoint that it is wrong when imported into rails from mysql).

Did you save your templates as UTF8? Did you use

in your header?

With this 2 things I never had any trouble in Rails with german umlauts
:wink:

Beate

I have now solved it!

You were right with your last modifications. I had to stop my rails
server, then it worked.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Darren

Darren E. wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the replies. It still doesn’t work, even with these
modifications.

It’s very strange, any other thoughts would be useful - I have to solve
this somehow!!

Thanks

Darren

Beate P. wrote:

Hi Darren,

2007/1/18, Darren E. [email protected]:

Does anyone have an idea why this is not working (I can see using a
breakpoint that it is wrong when imported into rails from mysql).

Did you save your templates as UTF8? Did you use

in your header?

With this 2 things I never had any trouble in Rails with german umlauts
:wink:

Beate

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs