Problem connecting with ruby-net-ldap - Net::BER::BerError

Hi all,

Ruby 1.8.6
Windows XP Pro
ruby-net-ldap 0.0.4

I’m getting a strange error when I try this simple script, where
LDAP_SERVER is a 3rd party ldap server:

ldap = Net::LDAP.new(:host => LDAP_SERVER, :port => 9999)
ldap.bind(:dn => ‘cn=Admin’, :password => ‘xxx’)
ldap.unbind

/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4/lib/net/ber.rb:117:in
read_ber': unsupported object type: class=contextspecific, encoding=primitive, tag=7 (Net::BER::BerError) from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4/lib/net/ ber.rb:112:inread_ber’
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4/lib/net/
ldap.rb:1104:in bind' from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4/lib/net/ ldap.rb:701:inbind’
from user.rb:26

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

On 10/22/07, Daniel B. [email protected] wrote:

ldap = Net::LDAP.new(:host => LDAP_SERVER, :port => 9999)
from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4/lib/net/
ldap.rb:701:in `bind’
from user.rb:26

Dan, try syncing to the head revision of the library, there are a
handful of
changes not in the current release. If that doesn’t solve the problem,
then
I’ll look into it more closely for you.

On Oct 22, 2:00 pm, “Francis C.” [email protected]
wrote:

ldap.rb:1104:in bind' from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4/lib/net/ ldap.rb:701:inbind’
from user.rb:26

Dan, try syncing to the head revision of the library, there are a handful of
changes not in the current release. If that doesn’t solve the problem, then
I’ll look into it more closely for you.

Hi Francis,

Hm, something’s wacky with your SCM repository. RF says you’re using
Subversion. All I see under trunk, however, is a bunch of CVSROOT
files. What am I supposed to grab? The stuff under the
experimental_netldap branch?

Thanks,

Dan

On 10/22/07, Daniel B. [email protected] wrote:

Hm, something’s wacky with your SCM repository. RF says you’re using
Subversion. All I see under trunk, however, is a bunch of CVSROOT
files. What am I supposed to grab? The stuff under the
experimental_netldap branch?

Yes, sorry about that, it’s under branches/experimental_netldap. I came
into
that project in midstream and didn’t want to disturb the existing code,
so I
added that branch.

I know I supported some more of the BER types when I added SNMP support
to
that library a few months back, so I’m hopeful this will solve your
problem.

On Oct 22, 3:25 pm, Daniel B. [email protected] wrote:

then
that project in midstream and didn’t want to disturb the existing code, so I
1238:in bind': unsupported auth method () (Net::LDAP ::LdapError) from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.1.0/lib/ net/ldap.rb:730:inbind’
from user.rb:26

Any ideas? Did I botch the install somehow?

I think it’s a code problem. I added this line at 1231:

meth ||= :simple

But now I get this error:

user.rb:28: undefined method `unbind’ for #Net::LDAP:0x2760280
(NoMethodError)

I think there’s something fundamentally broken with ldap.rb now, but I
couldn’t tell you what it is.

Regards,

Dan

On 10/22/07, Daniel B. [email protected] wrote:

ldap = Net::LDAP.new(:host => LDAP_SERVER, :port => 9999)
ldap.bind(:dn => ‘cn=Admin’, :password => ‘xxx’)
ldap.unbind

Try this instead:

ldap.bind(:method=>:simple, :dn => ‘cn=Admin’, :password => ‘xxx’)

On Oct 22, 2:32 pm, “Francis C.” [email protected]
wrote:

Hi Francis,
I know I supported some more of the BER types when I added SNMP support to
that library a few months back, so I’m hopeful this will solve your problem.

Ok. Now I’m seeing this (same code as before):

C:\Documents and Settings\djberge\workspace\ruby-cramer\lib
\cramer>ruby user.rb
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.1.0/lib/net/ldap.rb:
1238:in bind': unsupported auth method () (Net::LDAP ::LdapError) from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.1.0/lib/ net/ldap.rb:730:inbind’
from user.rb:26

Any ideas? Did I botch the install somehow?

Regards,

Dan

On Oct 22, 3:55 pm, “Francis C.” [email protected]
wrote:

I’m getting a strange error when I try this simple script, where
LDAP_SERVER is a 3rd party ldap server:

ldap = Net::LDAP.new(:host => LDAP_SERVER, :port => 9999)
ldap.bind(:dn => ‘cn=Admin’, :password => ‘xxx’)
ldap.unbind

Try this instead:

ldap.bind(:method=>:simple, :dn => ‘cn=Admin’, :password => ‘xxx’)

Ok, so it seems the bind did work. But now I get this:

user.rb:28: undefined method `unbind’ for #Net::LDAP:0x2760258
(NoMethodError)

Strange. Any ideas?

Regards,

Dan

On 10/22/07, Daniel B. [email protected] wrote:

Ok, so it seems the bind did work. But now I get this:

user.rb:28: undefined method `unbind’ for #Net::LDAP:0x2760258
(NoMethodError)

Strange. Any ideas?

There is no unbind method. You don’t need it.

I was a little mystified that you were having so much trouble with a
simple
operation that is known to work well, so I went back and checked the
rdoc
for Net::LDAP#bind. This is a method that is usually called implicitly
by
the library, such as when user code requests a search against the LDAP
directory.

However, there is an example in the documentation of how you can
successfully use #bind without parameters. I just added an additional
example to cover the case you used (in which credentials are passed to
#bind
as arguments).

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs