Prob only with ruby

Hello
i am using ole automation to drive some of my processes. the following
code would run properly in other languages like vbscript. but it fails
only in ruby
application = WIN32OLE.new(“Broker.Application”)

analysis=application.analysis()

analysis.Filter(0, “market”) = 3 # use nasdaq only << ruby
does not allow setting values like this. it errors syntax error,
unexpected ‘=’, expecting $end. however this assignmetn is valid in
vbscript for the same object. is there any other way of doing it.

On Jan 8, 2008 3:10 PM, Junkone [email protected] wrote:

does not allow setting values like this. it errors syntax error,
unexpected ‘=’, expecting $end. however this assignmetn is valid in
vbscript for the same object. is there any other way of doing it.

I’m not a vbscript guy, but did you try:

myvar = analysis.Filter(0, “market”)
myvar = 3

?

On Jan 8, 4:00 pm, John W. [email protected] wrote:

analysis.Filter(0, “market”) = 3 # use nasdaq only << ruby
does not allow setting values like this. it errors syntax error,
unexpected ‘=’, expecting $end. however this assignmetn is valid in
vbscript for the same object. is there any other way of doing it.

I’m not a vbscript guy, but did you try:

myvar = analysis.Filter(0, “market”)
myvar = 3

?

Nope. it does not work
b=analysis.Filter(0, “market”) #= 3 # use nasdaq only
b=3
It does not change anything at all.
However if i ran a similar code in vbscript, it does the magic.

set application = CreateObject(“Broker.Application”)
application.visible=1
set analysis=application.analysis()
analysis.Filter( 0, “market” ) = 3

so something is wrong with the way ruby does automation.

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:58:11 -0800 (PST)
Junkone [email protected] wrote:

so something is wrong with the way ruby does automation.

Maybe the library does not know about the default property,
which VB uses…

So assuming that you’re assigning the .Value property, try

analysis.Filter(0, “market”).Value = 3

in ruby.

I wonder … does

p analysis.Filter(0, “market”).methods

return any useful information?

s.

On Jan 8, 5:25 pm, Stefan S. [email protected] wrote:

application.visible=1
analysis.Filter(0, “market”).Value = 3

in ruby.

I wonder … does

p analysis.Filter(0, “market”).methods

return any useful information?

s.

it does something useful within the application. thats why i use it.
it configures one of the windows within the app.

Hello,

Junkone wrote:

Nope. it does not work
b=analysis.Filter(0, “market”) #= 3 # use nasdaq only
b=3
It does not change anything at all.
However if i ran a similar code in vbscript, it does the magic.

set application = CreateObject(“Broker.Application”)
application.visible=1
set analysis=application.analysis()
analysis.Filter( 0, “market” ) = 3

so something is wrong with the way ruby does automation.

Ruby does not support the following syntax, so Win32OLE
does not support.

analysis.Filter( 0, “market” ) = 3

Instead, does the following script work?

analysis.setproperty(‘Filter’, 0, “market”, 3)

Regards,
Masaki S.

Hello,

Junkone wrote:

Instead, does the following script work?

analysis.setproperty(‘Filter’, 0, “market”, 3)

Regards,
Masaki S.

bingo. analysis.setproperty(‘Filter’, 0, “market”, 4) works
beautifylly. masaki is one smart. how did you figure it out. i am
wondering.

Because I’m a maintainor of Win32OLE. :slight_smile:
To support property setting with argument like Filter,
WIN32OLE#setproperty method is provided.

Regards,
Masaki S.

On Jan 8, 5:33 pm, Masaki S. [email protected] wrote:

set application = CreateObject(“Broker.Application”)

Instead, does the following script work?

analysis.setproperty(‘Filter’, 0, “market”, 3)

Regards,
Masaki S.

bingo. analysis.setproperty(‘Filter’, 0, “market”, 4) works
beautifylly. masaki is one smart. how did you figure it out. i am
wondering.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs