Prevented in-tree build. This is bad practice?

Hi,

what is THAT??? Occurred with the 3.7.2 download package…

enterprise:/usr/src/gr-build # cmake …/gnuradio-3.7.2
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:22 (message):
Prevented in-tree build. This is bad practice.

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 10:37:58AM +0200, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

what is THAT??? Occurred with the 3.7.2 download package…

enterprise:/usr/src/gr-build # cmake …/gnuradio-3.7.2
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:22 (message):
Prevented in-tree build. This is bad practice.

It looks like you tried an in-tree build, which cmake prevented you from
doing, because it’s bad practice :slight_smile:

You’ll need to clean the repo (if nothing’s changed, git clean -xdf will
do) and then rebuild outside your tree. Follow the build instructions,
and make sure you call cmake in a separate build folder.

MB


Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Martin B.
Research Associate

Kaiserstraße 12
Building 05.01
76131 Karlsruhe

Phone: +49 721 608-43790
Fax: +49 721 608-46071
www.cel.kit.edu

KIT – University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and
National Laboratory of the Helmholtz Association

On 12/04/2013 10:53 AM, Martin B. (CEL) wrote:

You’ll need to clean the repo (if nothing’s changed, git clean -xdf will
do) and then rebuild outside your tree. Follow the build instructions,
and make sure you call cmake in a separate build folder.

Did you actually read what I posted?
I was calling “cmake …/gnuradio-3.7.2” while being in the directory
“/usr/src/gr-build”.

And I didn’t use git but the download package from the gnuradio website.

-S

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 11:12:01AM +0200, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

You’ll need to clean the repo (if nothing’s changed, git clean -xdf will
do) and then rebuild outside your tree. Follow the build instructions,
and make sure you call cmake in a separate build folder.

Did you actually read what I posted?
I was calling “cmake …/gnuradio-3.7.2” while being in the directory
“/usr/src/gr-build”.

Yes, Stefan, I read what you posted. Did you read what I just posted?
About making sure you’re helping people help you solve your problems?
Also remember, this thread isn’t only for your benefit, but for others
with similar problems who might read this now or find it in the archives
later.

Now, the most common cause for your problem is leftover cmake files.
As I said, clean out the source dir before continuing.

And I didn’t use git but the download package from the gnuradio website.

I’m assuming you’re able to ignore my suggestion in that case and clean
the directory using other methods.

MB


Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Martin B.
Research Associate

Kaiserstraße 12
Building 05.01
76131 Karlsruhe

Phone: +49 721 608-43790
Fax: +49 721 608-46071
www.cel.kit.edu

KIT – University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and
National Laboratory of the Helmholtz Association

On 12/04/2013 12:03 PM, Martin B. (CEL) wrote:

Also remember, this thread isn’t only for your benefit, but for others
with similar problems who might read this now or find it in the archives
later.

Point taken. However, I was not in-tree in that case unless I understand
the expression “in-tree” wrong. It does mean “inside the directory where
all the source files are”, doesn’t it?

Now, the most common cause for your problem is leftover cmake files.
As I said, clean out the source dir before continuing.

I’m assuming you’re able to ignore my suggestion in that case and clean
the directory using other methods.

rm -rf gnuradio-3.7.2
rm -rf gr-build
tar xzf gnuradio-3.7.2.tar.gz
md gr-build
cd gr-build
cmake …/gnuradio-3.7.2

=> same result

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I’m totally unable to reproduce that behaviour; my wisdom ends here.

On 04.12.2013 11:23, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

files. As I said, clean out the source dir before continuing.

_______________________________________________ Discuss-gnuradio
mailing list [email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSnwSjAAoJEAFxB7BbsDrL0FEH/367GlzjOUKxYI3QBjkANWSs
9F8YZD8l16U1HCKrJXH56OTm3tJPiAcsL+r8Ge4mz4kBQkD+wQFNwSk130AMZo+S
X27mdudfaHMQ9ZM9p1cR4Al0HSk7HfKyT2wMnXmUtUvVou940oyCSMbZP1Zoxj7U
zhu7utUfPdEtyqxgYPfuNqPEFp1E+HsVi+2jS3mURfXNejNOktQdiCGwqVW7EMYT
jwIru2bVx2zngplXCaV9CJMbgEa8olt0Z93MaTAbO9wgkIcpuUY1D5oava08DoRT
dtn0FL6pAkmoqNql9RbRMaCXtucJtSOKxjCoomx+SX9dNYISX1rhEU/tndSnk7g=
=GuVz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 12:23:24PM +0200, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

On 12/04/2013 12:03 PM, Martin B. (CEL) wrote:

Also remember, this thread isn’t only for your benefit, but for others
with similar problems who might read this now or find it in the archives
later.

Point taken. However, I was not in-tree in that case unless I understand
the expression “in-tree” wrong. It does mean “inside the directory where
all the source files are”, doesn’t it?

Yes, although the error message is triggered when it finds specific
files inside the tree, even if you actually call cmake from outside the
tree. So if you do an in-tree build first, then realize your error, and
try the out-of-tree build afterwards, you still see the same error.

cd gr-build
cmake …/gnuradio-3.7.2

=> same result

OK, that’s unusual and I can’t reproduce it here even by copy & pasting
the commands and doing exactly the same. You could try 3.7.2.1 (although
I couldn’t say why 3.7.2 wouldn’t work) and using other build
directories.

MB


Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Martin B.
Research Associate

Kaiserstraße 12
Building 05.01
76131 Karlsruhe

Phone: +49 721 608-43790
Fax: +49 721 608-46071
www.cel.kit.edu

KIT – University of the State of Baden-Württemberg and
National Laboratory of the Helmholtz Association

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

While you’re at it - why do you download tarballs instead of simply
taking the git route, giving you the recent version; or even trying
the pyBOMBS way, which might even install dependencies for you
(honestly, I don’t know if it works with Suse, though, or tries to
build all tools and requirements from source instead of fetching
packages where applicable).

On 04.12.2013 17:28, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

-S

_______________________________________________ Discuss-gnuradio
mailing list [email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSn1nHAAoJEAFxB7BbsDrLlnoH/jHueKKfVLZyJpGTxbJ0QUCh
LGX8Akz3Ek74QCtJ3sGtjnMZr4GFXHDNQUYVXaXhC1CyZA99SVzZXKqzOpYafcii
ngnOS9xy//En7HKB2Qqs0bROSSFMrSiUTV00MXwFySrowl/VJlxR/3hTm1cgBzGL
UzxxP/WlF7yHQuERjV2+BYJE9kMAlB0hqYDy657Lw5mN2Dpr3JRtTAkvwEsXzEwK
ILI1to/pCU5cIDcTbBwt+2whRhP3ZHo1NGhHlLbKeQiMS1GgGuYoEVjCVoKjNnEq
MPgu8ahV082x2ZsIV7hD71UjoVqEtswzJDJSnaFt5FuLz9Pmn/66tMbeS7vQhVs=
=r0Eu
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

On 12/04/2013 02:04 PM, Martin B. (CEL) wrote:

OK, that’s unusual and I can’t reproduce it here even by copy & pasting
the commands and doing exactly the same. You could try 3.7.2.1 (although
I couldn’t say why 3.7.2 wouldn’t work) and using other build
directories.

I downloaded the file new and deleted everything and created the dirs
new again and then it worked - basically. Typical Suse-phenomenon - tons
of dependencies not found…
Luckily, I found a 3.7.3-git version on OSBS which runs fine so far.

-S

On 04/12/13 16:28, Stefan Gofferje wrote:

-S


Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio
The dependency “problem” is not confined to any one distribution, you’ll
find tons of -dev packages needed in Ubuntu/Mint, etc. and -devel
packages needed in Fedora and openSUSE.
These are files that are not installed by default even when you specify
various development options at install time, e.g the following had to be
done on Ubuntu for building ghpsdr3-alex and then some others will be
discovered after they are installed and yet others when building other
applications.
" apt-get install libfftw3-dev libasound2-dev libportaudio2
portaudio19-dev libncurses5-dev libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0
python-wxgtk2.8 python-wxversion libusb-dev libusb-1.0-dev
python2.7-dev"
73 … Sid.

On 12/04/2013 06:35 PM, Marcus M. wrote:

While you’re at it - why do you download tarballs instead of simply
taking the git route, giving you the recent version; or even trying
the pyBOMBS way, which might even install dependencies for you
(honestly, I don’t know if it works with Suse, though, or tries to
build all tools and requirements from source instead of fetching
packages where applicable).

I just wanted to get it to run first. I’m not familiar with GnuRadio yet
ad very often, if you download from GIT, you get some unstable stuff, so
unless I know a project, I tend to stick to some release-files.

-S

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs