Postgres-ing? Too many choices!


#1

it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
PostgreSQL database.

postgres (0.7.1)
postgres-pr (0.4.0)
ruby-postgres (0.7.1)

What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?

Thanks.


#2

On 1/12/06, Dave H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
PostgreSQL database.

    postgres (0.7.1)
    postgres-pr (0.4.0)
    ruby-postgres (0.7.1)

What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?

postgres and ruby-postgres are the same project. all the gems for
ruby-postgres are post 0.7.1 snapshots. I’ve been saying this for a
while, but I intend to release a 0.8.0 release real soon now. I will
probably release the most recent snapshot of the ruby-postgres gem as
the 0.8.0 release, so it should be pretty functional. it contains
many fixes and improvements over the postgres-0.7.1 gem. postgres-pr
is a pure ruby extension, it doesn’t rely on PostgreSQL’s libpq client
library. AFAIK, it’s not as functional as the native extensions.

Dave


#3

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 02:18:57AM +0900, Dave L. wrote:
} On 1/12/06, Dave H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
} > it appears that there are three different Gems for talking to a
} > PostgreSQL database.
} >
} > postgres (0.7.1)
} > postgres-pr (0.4.0)
} > ruby-postgres (0.7.1)
} >
} > What are the differences between them? How do I pick one?
}
} postgres and ruby-postgres are the same project. all the gems for
} ruby-postgres are post 0.7.1 snapshots. I’ve been saying this for a
} while, but I intend to release a 0.8.0 release real soon now. I will
} probably release the most recent snapshot of the ruby-postgres gem as
} the 0.8.0 release, so it should be pretty functional. it contains
} many fixes and improvements over the postgres-0.7.1 gem. postgres-pr
} is a pure ruby extension, it doesn’t rely on PostgreSQL’s libpq client
} library. AFAIK, it’s not as functional as the native extensions.

So I went with postgres-pr instead of asking this question, and now I’m
sorry I did. Would it mess things up to install the
postgres/ruby-postgres
gem? How do I make sure I’m using the right one?

} Dave
–Greg


#4

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 02:50 +0900, Gregory S. wrote:

So I went with postgres-pr instead of asking this question, and now
I’m
sorry I did. Would it mess things up to install the
postgres/ruby-postgres
gem? How do I make sure I’m using the right one?

gem install postgres
gem uninstall postgres-pr

:slight_smile:

-Robby


/**************************************************************

  • Robby R., Founder & Executive Director *
  • PLANET ARGON, LLC | www.planetargon.com *
  • Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting, and Hosting *
  • Portland, Oregon | p: 503.351.4730 | f: 815.642.4068 *
  • blog: www.robbyonrails.com | book: www.programmingrails.com *
    ***************************************************************/