Please test ironrubymvc

Hi
I’m going to take this weekend to add some more error checking to
IronRuby
MVC and to create a readme with a quick sample.
But as things stand I think you should have a usable version of IronRuby
MVC
currently in my github repo (GitHub - casualjim/ironrubymvc: IronRuby ASP.NET MVC otherwise known as ASP.NET MVC rubification).

I would love to see some bugs being found :slight_smile:

So if you’re interested to help, please get the source and try to build
an
ASP.NET MVC application with ironruby or help me out by writing specs.

There is something pretty annoying though. When you’re in a C# project
(like
a library or an MVC project) and you create a text file. VS will help
you
out by adding a BOM to the file. Now IronRuby doesn’t know how to handle
files like that.
I realise you can do File - Save as - Save with encoding but that didn’t
have the desired effect either. So in the end i created my ruby files
with
Notepad++ and added those to the IronRuby mvc project.

This wasn’t a problem earlier because I had created my own reader and
script
runner, and I just refactored to use StreamContentProviders from
Microsoft.Scripting. As soon as I use the DLR infrastructure it starts
complaining about the BOM’s.
(Invalid character ï found).

I’d like to thank Jimmy for his advice.

Thanks
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I’ll try to take some time to have a look at this.

One question though: did you already try to use this on Mono ? Is it
possible at all ?

– Thibaut

The ASP.NET MVC license explicitly forbids this. The mono guys have to
reinvent that as well.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Thibaut Barrère

Ivan,

Thanks for doing this, it’s really awesome that you’ve taken initiative
in this project!

There’s a way to put VS in ASCII mode … but I don’t remember how. I
felt that pain when getting the initial version of ironrubymvc set up.

I’m working on a silverline port to ASP.NET MVC, so I’ll be ramping up
my work on this as well.

~js

an ASP.NEThttp://ASP.NET MVC application with ironruby or help me out
[...]

I figure I’m already passing a streamcontentprovider. I can just pass
one
that reads the file and is a little bit more forgiving :slight_smile:

I’d like to refactor now to a DLR implementation so that the guys from
IronPython have an easier time plugging in their language.

I looked at improving the error handling but atm there is not that much
information to be gotten from the exceptions, so I took it out again.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Jimmy S. <

Yeah, that’s pretty unfortunate. However, Mono needs to also reimplement
System.Web.Routing, which is in .NET 3.5, and System.Web.Mvc depends on.
So even if MVC was Ms-Pl, they’d still have work to do. Let’s hope
(at-least) MVC changes their license.

<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Ivan,

I’ll try to take some time to have a look at this.

One question though: did you already try to use this on Mono ? Is it
possible at all ?

– Thibaut

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Ivan Porto C.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]> wrote:

out by adding a BOM to the file. Now IronRuby doesn’t know how to handle
Thanks
Ivan

Ironruby-core mailing list