wrote:
From: Ashutosh A. [email protected]
To: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]
Date: Friday, 15 August, 2008, 5:57 AM

Hello,

I do not want to receive any further emails from the ruby-talk group.
Can
you please remove me from the mailing list.

Regards,

Ashutosh A…

Well, actually, this is the Ruby-Talk list, so you would want to send
some
email to:

[email protected]

Now, while I have your attention: If anyone else is thinking about
sending a
message like this, please don’t. I personally send them straight to
spam,
because that’s what it is. You’re asking the entire list – quite
possibly
hundreds of people (I have no idea) – to unsubscribe you.

And no one is going to reply, at least, not to the list. Or, I hope not

because that way leads to madness. We get a huge thread of people
begging
everyone to stop discussing the thread, while it acquires CCs as people
keep
hitting reply-to-all, so that even if the original person manages to get
unsubscribed from the list, they’ll keep getting mail about
their “unsubscribe” message for a long time afterwards.

There’s a much simpler solution: When you signed up – which you did do,
the
list makes it reasonably difficult for someone else to sign you up –
PAY
ATTENTION to what it tells you about how to control your subscription.
There
are instructions there on how to unsubscribe.

Asking not only the list admins, but the ENTIRE LIST is pretty rude –
it’s
assuming that the time it would take you to figure this out is worth
more
than the time you’re wasting for the entire list.

It’s a bit like walking into a crowded bar, realizing you didn’t want to
be
there, and screaming loudly, demanding that a bouncer throw you out.

One more thing: I see the original poster comes from someone at Gmail.
It’s
trivially easy to set up filters on Gmail – to make all ruby-talk mail
be
filed under a ruby-talk label, and stop hitting your inbox.

I don’t imagine me sending this will change anything, but I had to rant.
Seems
like several times a week, there’s someone who’s managed to figure out
how to
subscribe, but not how to unsubscribe. And don’t get me started on the
vacation messages…