Please explain web services

could someone explain some of the uses for a web service. i’m reading
about how to make them, but i’m still not quite sure what they’re good
for.

i have multiple rails apps that i would like to pass user information
back and forth to. i’m not sure if something like this could help me or
not.

thanks

On 4/28/06, Josh K. [email protected] wrote:

could someone explain some of the uses for a web service. i’m reading
about how to make them, but i’m still not quite sure what they’re good
for.

i have multiple rails apps that i would like to pass user information
back and forth to. i’m not sure if something like this could help me or
not.

Yes, that’s what a web service would be good for.

A webservice is essentially a way for applications to get data from
other applications using HTTP.

Joe

i’ve tried googling for some examples but i have not yet found anything.
does anyone know of some good resources for accomplishing something like
this between two rails applications?

Rodrigo D. wrote:

A web server is a great technology to communicate applications. It is
standard, and everyone know how to work with web services.

A good example for a web service:

In my company, we have a lot of web applications, for clients and for
workers. All the logins, are local to a web application. So if you log
into web application A, and then you want to go to web application B,
you have to put another user and another password, although you are the
same client, big problem.
So I’m implementing a solution, a login server for all those webs, so I
can store all the logins in the login server, specify in that server
what web applications they can access, metadata associated to each
login, etc.
The web applications in the company were programmed mostly in PHP, and
there are some web applications in perl, and some web applications in
ROR. So I’m doing all the login for the login server in ruby on rails,
and I’m implementing a web service to communicate and give an standard
API to the others applications, criptography, etc; and the changes that
they have to implement in their current web applications are very
little. And even better, we can now provide access to the web service to
our provideers, so they can use our login server and we can integrate
with our provideers.

what you’re talking about is EXACTLY what i would need. is the
development of something like this very hard? are there any pointers you
could give or places to start out for something like this?

your help would be greatly appreciated in any way you can.

[...]

Rodrigo D.

Contra la contaminación de las papeleras.
Por el río Uruguay.
El 30 de Abril en
Gualeguaychú. Yo Voy.

Iplan Networks Datos Personales
[email protected] [email protected]
www.iplan.com.ar www.rorra.com.ar
5031-6303 15-5695-6027

On 4/28/06, Josh K. [email protected] wrote:

could someone explain some of the uses for a web service. i’m reading
about how to make them, but i’m still not quite sure what they’re good
for.

i have multiple rails apps that i would like to pass user information
back and forth to. i’m not sure if something like this could help me
or
not.

Yes, that’s what a web service would be good for.

A webservice is essentially a way for applications to get data from
other applications using HTTP.

Joe

Rails mailing list

Watch out for ActionWebServices. Look at
http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/book/10

Josh K. wrote:

i’ve tried googling for some examples but i have not yet found anything.
does anyone know of some good resources for accomplishing something like
this between two rails applications?

Sau S.

http://blog.saush.com
http://www.projectible.com