From: jooma lavata [email protected]
To: ruby-talk ML [email protected]
Sent: Mon, January 28, 2013 11:40:24 AM
Subject: Please explain in English

I’m learning Ruby and I’m reading some expression that I saw on the
forum. I’m coming from Javascript. This is really hard for me. Please
help explain to me in plain English. I understand that it’s a Function
that takes string and count words to return a Hash.

def count_words(string)
res = Hash.new(0)
string.downcase.scan(/\w+/).map{|word| res[word] =
string.downcase.scan(/\b#{word}\b/).size}
return res
end

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM, jooma lavata [email protected]

That’s not a very idiomatic way, because the result of the map
function, which returns an array, is ignored. This signals that map is
not the correct method to use. Now, with that said:

string.downcase #=> returns a new string with all the characters
downcased
.scan(/\w+/) #=> return an array of strings with each match of the
regular expression. \w+ means: one or more word characters, so this
should return an array of words.
.map #=> returns a new array where each position is filled with the
result of invoking the block with each element of the array. Example:

[1,2,3].map {|x| “x is #{x}”} #=> [“x is 1”, “x is 2”, “x is 3”]

res[word] = string.downcase.scan(\b#{word}\b/).size

What this means is, take the string, downcase it again, scan it for
the current word surrounded by word boundaries (so, whole word), take
the size of that array and place it in the hash under the key for this
word.
This is extremely inefficient, since, first of all, for each word it’s
downcasing the string again, and then scanning for each word through
the full string again (which you are already doing). So this seems to
be O(N^2), where a single pass through the string should suffice.
Also, the block-less form of scan and using map like that is creating
many intermediate objects that are not used.

I’d do something like:

res = Hash.new(0)
string.downcase.scan(/\w+/) {|word| res[word] += 1}
return res

This uses the block form of scan, which instead of building an array,
just yields each match to the block. Since we are not doing anything
with that array, this is more efficient. We take advantage of the
default value of hash, which is set to 0, to just increment the count
for each word.

Hope this helps,

Jesus.

Regex is critical to this one. \w is word boundary. Scan returns
everything
that matches that regex with a boolean true.

Down case isn’t necessary. The word count would be the same either way.

Now if you just want to count words you don’t even need that hash. If
you’re trying to count instances of words that’s a different story.

Suggested reading: Enumerables, Blocks, Scan, Inject, and Reduce.

Enumerable covers most of those. Read the Ruby docs.

Seeing as I’m on my phone at the moment, could someone else rewrote that
code a bit? It’d look all types of funky if I did right now.

Cheers.

nevermind… Now I see what’s going on. (just had to run it in irb and
look at
the results with and without the return res).

From: Robert K. [email protected]

And to answer Wayne’s question how to get rid of the “return”:

Hash.new(0).tap do |res|
string.downcase.scan(/\w+/) {|word| res[word] += 1}
end

Kind regards

robert

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Joel P. [email protected]
wrote:

Ryan D. wrote in post #1094171:

This modifies the argument coming in. Don’t ever call downcase! or other
mutating methods on an argument or you’ll wind up in debugging hell.
Make a copy instead:

string = string.downcase

Ah, I didn’t know that a bang method would also change the argument
outside of the current scope as well! Dangerous.

That’s why there is the exclamation mark in the first place. It means
“potentially dangerous method” (defined by Matz).

Btw, this does not have that much to do with scope but it’s rather
which object gets changed. All places in code which reference that
particular instance will notice the change once they use the object.

irb(main):008:0> t1 a
=> “A”
irb(main):009:0> a
=> “a”
irb(main):010:0> t2 a
=> “A”
irb(main):011:0> a
=> “A”

Yeah, String methods with exclamation mark typically change the
instance itself whereas the “less dangerous” brothers typically return
a modified instance.

Kind regards

robert

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM, sasan sasgho [email protected]
wrote:

what to do ?

First of all, please do not hijack other threads. Then, please
explain what your goal is, i.e. what you want to achieve.

Kind regards

robert

i have a project in netbeans 6.8. I created a global module so…

module SharedVariables
@prueba = 1

def variable
@prueba ||= 1
end

def variable= (var)
@prueba = var

this module are in global_var.rb file and want call this module by
other ruby file…

what to do ?

thanks

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Wayne B. [email protected]
wrote:

As usual Robert, you’ve shown me a very elegant way to handle this! Thanks!

You’re welcome! But I think the elegance is rather due to language
and library design than me. Thank Matz!

Kind regards

robert