PDF Thumbnail - RMagick

Hi,

I need to create a preview of a PDF upload to a CMS I’m building. Does
anyone know how to create a thumbnail of the first page of a PDF using
RMagick?

Any ideas welcome,

~ Mark

Mark D. wrote:

I need to create a preview of a PDF upload to a CMS I’m building. Does
anyone know how to create a thumbnail of the first page of a PDF using
RMagick?

PDF is outside RMagick’s (huge) envelop (IIRC). Google PDF2PNG.

PNG is the politically-correct (and slightly more technically advance)
way to do what GIF did. (And now that GIF is legal, it’s no fun
anymore!!)


Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!

PDF is outside RMagick’s (huge) envelop (IIRC)

But you can do this with Image Magick? Are you sure?

Google PDF2PNG.

There are lots of apps, but I want a nice Ruby way to do this, without
having to resort to backticks!

Mark D. wrote:

But you can do this with Image Magick? Are you sure?

$ convert betty-boop.jpg boop.pdf
$ ls
betty-boop.jpg boop.pdf

My bad. It seems to be available on my system. (Mac OYesSex).

Check your delegates.xml file


Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!

Phlip wrote:

Mark D. wrote:

I need to create a preview of a PDF upload to a CMS I’m building. Does
anyone know how to create a thumbnail of the first page of a PDF using
RMagick?

PDF is outside RMagick’s (huge) envelop (IIRC). Google PDF2PNG.

ImageMagick (and therefore RMagick) can read and write PDF if you have
Ghostscript installed.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs