Passenger vs Mongrel


#1

I have a simple question guys! Is passenger for deploying RoR apps vs
mongrel, which one is better? I saw how easy it’s to deploy passenger,
but I wonder is it still relevant to current rails (2.3.2) and ruby
1.8.7 or 1.9?

I’m very new to RoR environment. I’m more familiar with how to setup
LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP). Thanks…


#2

Power O. wrote:

I have a simple question guys! Is passenger for deploying RoR apps vs
mongrel, which one is better? I saw how easy it’s to deploy passenger,
but I wonder is it still relevant to current rails (2.3.2) and ruby
1.8.7 or 1.9?

I’m very new to RoR environment. I’m more familiar with how to setup
LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP). Thanks…

Both work well. If you must have apache for whatever reason, then
passenger is the easiest way to go. If you don’t want to hear about
apache use mongrel+nginx.

Anyway, even with passenger, setting up Nginx in front of it for serving
static content is a good idea.


#3

On 25 Mar 2009, at 10:27, Fernando P. wrote:

Both work well. If you must have apache for whatever reason, then
passenger is the easiest way to go. If you don’t want to hear about
apache use mongrel+nginx.

Anyway, even with passenger, setting up Nginx in front of it for
serving
static content is a good idea.

Even with mongrel, setting up Nginx… is probably what you mean. With
passenger, there is no need, Apache will serve the static files
directly.

And yes, unless you have a very limited amount of RAM on your VPS, go
for Apache+Passenger. We switched over from Apache+load balancer
+Mongrel and it’s a major improvement both in ease of use and
performance.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt


#4

Even with mongrel, setting up Nginx… is probably what you mean. With
passenger, there is no need, Apache will serve the static files
directly.

Nope, even with Passenger installing Nginx in front of it is a good
thing to do. Nginx can handle static files much better than Apache.
That’s what I have discovered in my own benchmarks: lower memory
consumption, and higher req/s specially when concurrency starts
increasing or when the cpu starts choking under the load.


#5

Power O.,

The answer is ‘it depends’, if you are familiar with Apache,
already have it running and feel comfortable managing it Passenger is
a really good option, also it should do a great job if you are
planning to have a bunch of small apps. If you are low on resources
and need nothing but run a rails app mongrel or thing should do the
job for you, usually with a small, fast, efficient web server in the
front end as Nginx.

I would recommend posting it to the Rails Deployment Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-deployment/about

Best regards,


Aníbal Rojas @anibalrojas
http://hasmanydevelopers.com
http://rubycorner.com
http://en.anibal.rojas.com.ve

On Mar 26, 4:24 am, Power O. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#6

Thanks for the suggestion. Last night I got passenger gem installed,
and then I point apache’s document root to my-app/public/, but for some
reason, passenger couldn’t find the app. Oh, it find the public/'s
static index page OK, but when I entered direct url such as
my-app/display, the server displayed some sort of page not found. I
know for sure my route is OK, because if I test it with mongrel by doing
/script/server, and visit localhost:3000, it would work. To be clear I
got Apache running fine, because PHP’s Drupal is running when I visit
something.example.com/drupal. (I changed /etc/hosts/ to have
example.com works as localhost). I know my apache’s virtual hosts
configuration got it right because I did that for PHP’s Drupal.

With that said, I have to go and read more about passenger and its
tutorial, plus how RoR/Ruby server gets deployed.

Aníbal Rojas wrote:

Power O.,

The answer is ‘it depends’, if you are familiar with Apache,
already have it running and feel comfortable managing it Passenger is
a really good option, also it should do a great job if you are
planning to have a bunch of small apps. If you are low on resources
and need nothing but run a rails app mongrel or thing should do the
job for you, usually with a small, fast, efficient web server in the
front end as Nginx.

I would recommend posting it to the Rails Deployment Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-deployment/about

Best regards,


An�bal Rojas @anibalrojas
http://hasmanydevelopers.com
http://rubycorner.com
http://en.anibal.rojas.com.ve

On Mar 26, 4:24 am, Power O. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#7

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Power O.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I have a simple question guys! Is passenger for deploying RoR apps vs
mongrel, which one is better? I saw how easy it’s to deploy passenger,
but I wonder is it still relevant to current rails (2.3.2) and ruby
1.8.7 or 1.9?

I’m very new to RoR environment. I’m more familiar with how to setup
LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP). Thanks…

You mean to say you don’t use SQLite as you default development
database? and you develop on Linux? :slight_smile:

Ruby 1.9 is fairly new, I’d go with 1.8.7 for a while still.

Rails 2.3.2 is also new but appears to be is running ok for me, just
started using it a couple days ago however.


Greg D.
http://destiney.com/