Params[] vs @params[]

Is there a difference in the way that params[] and @params[] are
handled?

Is the ‘handling’ done by Ruby or Rails?

A pointer to the relevant documentation would be sincerely appreciated.
Or just an answer would be ok too :wink:

Thanks,
Bill

params[] is preferred now because ‘params’ is a method call and
@params’ is an instance variable. I had this question myself and
when AWDR had both styles, I asked a Rails core team member when I
saw him.

-Rob

Rob B. http://agileconsultingllc.com
[email protected]
+1 513-295-4739

Thanks, Rob. The ‘preferred’ part still throws me since it’s apparently
still true that ‘@params[]’ and ‘params[]’ will both work to access the
params hash. Yes?

Also, when you say ‘params’ is a method call… I would have thought
that it could also be a local variable whose interpretation at runtime
would be context sensitive. No?

Confusing ;-(

Thanks again,

On 3/31/06, Bill W. [email protected] wrote:

Thanks, Rob. The ‘preferred’ part still throws me since it’s apparently
still true that ‘@params[]’ and ‘params[]’ will both work to access the
params hash. Yes?

Think “deprecated.” Using @params will work, but it’s not the
idiomatic way of doing it.