[OT] O'Reilly Cookbooks


#1

Hi,

Has anyone gotten the “roughcuts” of the Ruby and Rails cookbooks? If
you have the Pragmattic Rails Cookbook is the O’Reilly worth it? Also
can you download PDF’s of their “roughcuts”. The website is kind of
vague, it just mentions online access (whatever that means).

Thanks in advance.


What’s an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lor more that it’s ever
done in a PC.

My Digital Life - http://scottwalter.com/blog
Pro:Blog - http://scottwalter.com/problog
Snippets - http://snippets.scottwalter.com


#2

The Rails Recipe’s book is excellent, I would recommend picking that
one up, I use it a lot more than I expected I would.

~Jamie


#3

On 6/5/06, Scott W. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Has anyone gotten the “roughcuts” of the Ruby and Rails cookbooks? If you
have the Pragmattic Rails Cookbook is the O’Reilly worth it? Also can you
download PDF’s of their “roughcuts”. The website is kind of vague, it just
mentions online access (whatever that means).

A Rough Cuts book shows up as a zero-slot book in the Safari
bookshelf. You can download it as a PDF whenever you want to.

– James


#4

Scott W. wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone gotten the “roughcuts” of the Ruby and Rails cookbooks? If
you have the Pragmattic Rails Cookbook is the O’Reilly worth it? Also
can you download PDF’s of their “roughcuts”. The website is kind of
vague, it just mentions online access (whatever that means).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Scott.

You can download PDFs, but my experience with the Roughcuts has not been
great. Things may have moved on since I first got my copies (January),
but to be honest I haven’t bothered to go look… I’ll just wait for the
paper books.

http://blog.alancfrancis.com/2006/01/oreilly_rough_c.html

Alan


#5

Scott,

I picked up the Rails and the Ruby cookbook from OReilly. Both have been
pretty good, the Rails book is a little lean tho, and I was surprised at
how
useful the Ruby book has been, I actually bought the Ruby cookbook
accidentally. I did find the Pragmatic pair of books (Agile Web
Development
with Rails, and Programming Ruby (the pickaxe book)) more fun to read
and
work through…but keep in mind the OReilly roughcuts are exactly that,
they’re books in progress and will likely get better…

-Andre


#6

Alan F. wrote:

http://blog.alancfrancis.com/2006/01/oreilly_rough_c.html

…and http://blog.alancfrancis.com/2006/01/spot_the_differ.html