Well, the worm has turned and I think I may actually get an Apple ;P.
But I can’t decide which one. Pros and cons:
- modem (for when broadband kicks out, or on the road and there’s no
- screen is probably big enough (though I currently have a 15" Dell)
- doesn’t get as hot as the MacBook
- almost half the cost
- less likely to get stolen
- 1/4 to 1/5 as fast (in theory)
- no isight (not a big deal)
- older model - not as in the future
15.x" MacBook Pro
- Over 4-5x faster (though I’ve read reviews that say Apple’s claim is
- screen has more resolution
- gets hot
- kinda wide for a laptop
- lacks s-video (but adapter is available)
- no modem (but usb modem is available)
- superdrive is only 4x (rather than 8x)
- almost twice as expensive
- Apple’s latest and greatest
- software that isn’t Universal or just doesn’t work on the new Intel
- Firewire 400 instead of 800
- Applecare is $100 more
- more likely to get stolen
Despite my listing more negatives for the MacBook Pro, I’m still on the
fence - price is probably the single biggest factor, followed by the
“bells and whistles” factor.
These are reviews I’ve read:
Also, would you buy from Apple’s online store (any tax savings?), one of
their physical stores, buy refurbished, or buy used from a third party
(I heard Applecare transfers to new owners)?
Thanks for any opinions!