[OT] About MacBook Pro

Hi folks,

I’m planning to order a 17" mac book pro from US as my brother is coming
visit me from US.

I found
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~ShowBuyBtn~1~dpno~7054618~POPUP~TRUE.asp

That looks good. Any experience with this site ? Anyone knows of a
better
deal ?

TIA,
Pratik

rm -rf / 2>/dev/null - http://null.in

Dont judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try…

i think the easiest way would be to find a college student and take
him/her to an apple store and get a discount. my job gives me the same
discount as a student discount and i purchased the mbp 17" for around
2500.

Pratik Naik wrote:

Hi folks,

I’m planning to order a 17" mac book pro from US as my brother is coming
visit me from US.

I found
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~ShowBuyBtn~1~dpno~7054618~POPUP~TRUE.asp

That looks good. Any experience with this site ? Anyone knows of a
better
deal ?

TIA,
Pratik

rm -rf / 2>/dev/null - http://null.in

Dont judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try…

If you can’t get a discount that way another way is to join the apple
developer connection ($500/year) and buy
your MBP that way. You get to make one hardware purchase a year (20%
off I think) that includes:
1 ipod
1 computer (desktop or laptop) (All add-on options are discounted as
well. HD and RAM upgrade for example)
1 monitor

You get a year’s subscription to the ADC (pre-release access to OSX,
Java, XCode, etc) and a tshirt :-). For my purchase I ordered a MBP
fully loaded and an ipod.
I think I maybe saved $50 if that from just buying it from the
consumer site. If you order a cinema display to go along with your
purchase I think you come out ahead for sure.

Although at the time I was preordering before it was readily
available. If I were doing it today without a discount I’d look at
Amazon where there’s no sales tax
(assuming you don’t live in Wash)

I actually blogged about it here: http://javathehutt.blogspot.com/
2006/01/new-macbook.html

Good luck. It’s a great machine.

-Michael

koloa wrote:

i think the easiest way would be to find a college student and take
him/her to an apple store and get a discount. my job gives me the same
discount as a student discount and i purchased the mbp 17" for around
2500.

Good idea, Koloa. I’m still a student, and if I go buy a Mac, I get it
(slightly) cheaper, a free Nano, and free 3 year apple care plan.
That’s like a $400 value.

-Ben L.

Michael, I’m glad you mentioned this because a lot of people aren’t
aware of the ADC program. If you sign up for the Select plan, you
essentially get it for free with the discount you get on the MBP.

Michael

It’s amazing that folks have no qualms abusing the promotion/lying about
their status by using someone else’s discount.

If your planning on buying a macbook pro I would wait because the mac
book pros with the core 2 duos should be coming out in the next few
weeks.

I know I’m waiting.

Cheers,
Carl.

On 8/27/06, Michael T. [email protected] wrote:

yeah, I was going to comment on the same thing, but it almost appears
pointless anymore. It seems that many have no morale compass.

Michael

Carl W.
0412218979
[email protected]

My new employer offered me either a 15" or 17" MBP, so I had a decision
make. I ended up going with the 15" because although the 17" has a great
screen, it’s really just too big for me. The new job will have me
traveling
a lot, and I didn’t figure I’d enjoy trucking that thing all over the US
and
EU all the time. I also already have a pretty hefty desktop at home, so
don’t need a desktop replacement. Unless you’re used to having a very
large
laptop or need this as a primary machine, you might consider the 15"
instead.

Contribute to RubySpec! @ www.headius.com/rubyspec
Charles Oliver N. @ headius.blogspot.com
Ruby U. @ ruby.mn
JRuby Developer @ www.jruby.org

yeah, I was going to comment on the same thing, but it almost appears
pointless anymore. It seems that many have no morale compass.

Michael

Charles O Nutter wrote:

My new employer offered me either a 15" or 17" MBP, so I had a decision to
make. I ended up going with the 15" because although the 17" has a great
screen, it’s really just too big for me. The new job will have me traveling
a lot, and I didn’t figure I’d enjoy trucking that thing all over the US and
EU all the time. I also already have a pretty hefty desktop at home, so I
don’t need a desktop replacement. Unless you’re used to having a very large
laptop or need this as a primary machine, you might consider the 15"
instead.

I agree. I bought a 17" PB because I wanted to have the huge screen so
I could do more stuff at once. It turned out to just be a pain to lug
it around. Most of the time I have it plugged into my monitor anyways.
Go with the 15".

-Ben L.

Pratik <pratiknaik@…> writes:

Is there a huge performance difference between 2 GHz core duo and
2.16 GHz core duo ? Should I just go with 2 GHz core duo with 2 GB
RAM ? But 2.16 GHz core duo comes with 256 MB video card, will
that make a big difference ? My main purpose of the laptop will be
for development and performance testing.

I don’t know what’s best for you, but I’m going to get the 2.0GHz 13.3"
MacBook maxed out with 2GB RAM as soon as the new processors are
released (hopefully Sept) which are supposed to offer a 20%
performance increase.

Right now I have a 20" iMac 2GHz with 2GB RAM. Those specs are
plenty fast for development and running a bunch of apps at the
same time. If you are doing lots of graphics intensive things, then
the better video card in the Pro model is probably worth it.

For me, I’d rather have the ultra-portable 13.3" model. When I’m
not travelling it will be hooked up to a 20" monitor and wireless
keyboard and mouse.

As far as the difference between 2.0 and 2.16GHz - I’d say the
difference would be fairly negligible - definitely not a “huge”
performance difference. I know on the iMac the extra RAM makes
the most difference. With only 512 it kind of stinks. With 1GB,
usable, but sometimes starts to chug with a bunch of apps open.
With 2GB, it pretty much flies.

Justin P.

Justin P. [email protected] writes:

Pratik <pratiknaik@…> writes:

Is there a huge performance difference between 2 GHz core duo and
2.16 GHz core duo ? Should I just go with 2 GHz core duo with 2 GB
RAM ? But 2.16 GHz core duo comes with 256 MB video card, will
that make a big difference ? My main purpose of the laptop will be
for development and performance testing.

can we get back to Rails, please. Thanks.
Please follow netiquette, and keep discussions on topic.

Surendra S.
Read my blog at: http://cuttingtheredtape.blogspot.com/
,----
`----

On 8/27/06, Surendra S. [email protected] wrote:

can we get back to Rails, please. Thanks.
Please follow netiquette, and keep discussions on topic.

[OT]

rm -rf / 2>/dev/null - http://null.in

Dont judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try…

Hrmm…you guys have confused me 17 and 15.4 :-s I haven’t even seen both
of
them in the past, so I cant make a choice. I guess both weight the
same…right ?

Is there a huge performance difference between 2 GHz core duo and 2.16
GHz
core duo ? Should I just go with 2 GHz core duo with 2 GB RAM ? But 2.16
GHz
core duo comes with 256 MB video card, will that make a big difference ?

My main purpose of the laptop will be for development and performance
testing.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Surendra S. wrote:

Please follow netiquette, and keep discussions on topic.

Feel free to ignore this thread??? It’s titled “About MacBook Pro”
and I guarantee it will have posts about macbook pros…

-Ben L.

MacMall is reputable. They¹ve been around a long time.

Prices on Apple gear don¹t vary that much due to Apple¹s strong controls
on
reselling.

From: Pratik [email protected]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:31 -0400
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Rails] [OT] About MacBook Pro

Hi folks,

I’m planning to order a 17" mac book pro from US as my brother is coming
visit me from US.

I found
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~ShowBuyBtn~1~dpno~7054618~POPUP~T
RUE.asp

That looks good. Any experience with this site ? Anyone knows of a
better
deal ?

TIA,
Pratik

rm -rf / 2>/dev/null - http://null.in

Dont judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try…

On Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 08:56:41PM -0400, Faisal N Jawdat wrote:

On Aug 25, 2006, at 6:26 PM, HH wrote:

MacMall is reputable. Theyâ??ve been around a long time.

not really. back when i used macs (in the 90s), there were a number of
reputable retailers, like MacZone, MacConnection, etc. MacMall came onto
this scene at the end of this era (roughly when steve came back and
apple started ramping up its own stores) and alwyas seemed
significantly less-professional than the rest, based on experiences i
heard , not to mention the roughshod quality of their catalog compared
to the others

why not just order from Apple? in the cutthroat world of exploding
batteries and mysteries whines, id want the latest revision i could get,
and thats porably going to be ordering direct…

Thanks for your input Faisal. I guess I’ll just go with apple.com store.

-Pratik

On 8/25/06, Faisal N Jawdat [email protected] wrote:

rm -rf / 2>/dev/null - http://null.in

Dont judge those who try and fail, judge those who fail to try…

On Aug 25, 2006, at 6:26 PM, HH wrote:

MacMall is reputable. They?ve been around a long time.

That said, I’ve had sufficient problems with them that I won’t order
from them again. YMMV.

-faisal