OS X Configure script error

Hello,

I am trying to install gnuradio and have been following the instructions
on https://radioware.nd.edu/documentation/install-guides/mac-os-x. When
running the ./configure I receive the following error:

checking for ftn… no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler… (cached) no
checking whether accepts -g… (cached) no
checking for python… /opt/local/bin/python
checking for python version… 2.5
checking for python platform… darwin
checking for python script directory…
${prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory…
${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages
checking for Python include path…
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
checking Python.h usability… no
checking Python.h presence… no
checking for Python.h… no
configure: error: cannot find usable Python headers

I have set my ~/.bashrc to the
https://radioware.nd.edu/documentation/install-guides/mac-os-x/for-bashrc/at_download/file

Here are what my system variables are set to:
LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib
MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/pQ/pQV+9bG+El0aPwXEl0lXMk+++TM/-Tmp-/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-OlysN3/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=240
OLDPWD=/usr
USER=chukhia1
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-HLDZwF/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F6:0:0
PYTHON_VERSION=2.5
PATH=/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
PWD=/Users/chukhia1/gnuradio
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
F77=gfortran-mp-4.2
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/chukhia1
PYTHON_ROOT=/opt/local
PYTHONPATH=/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages
LOGNAME=chukhia1
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig
INFOPATH=/opt/local/share/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/share/info
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-9Gx1tC/:0
_=/usr/bin/printenv

Please help.
Ilya

checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler… (cached) no

I’m about 90% sure that the check for python.h uses a fortran script,
and configure fails when the fortran fails. If you don’t have fortran
that my be why that step is failing.

Check your config.log for errors pertaining to python.h, if that is
your problem then there should be something like:

checking Python.h usability
g77 -c -g -O2 conftest.f >&5
(failure messages)

Jason

checking for Python include path… /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
checking Python.h usability… no

The PYTHONPATH and rest of ‘env’ look OK. If you do:

ls /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/
python2.5/.

do you see “Python.h” (with a cap-P) somewhere in the list?

If not, then something is wrong with the MacPorts install of Python
2.5. Probably want to remove / reinstall it, or try to update it.

If so, then find the config.log file (same directory as you did
‘configure’ in) and look through it to find the string “Python.h”.
Mine (10.5.7, XCode 3.1.3 using CC=“gcc-4.2”) recorded:

configure:21190: checking Python.h usability
configure:21207: gcc-4.2 -c -I/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/V
ersions/2.5/include/python2.5 conftest.c >&5
configure:21214: $? = 0
configure:21228: result: yes
configure:21232: checking Python.h presence
configure:21247: cpp-4.2 -I/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versi
ons/2.5/include/python2.5 conftest.c
configure:21254: $? = 0
configure:21268: result: yes
configure:21296: checking for Python.h
configure:21305: result: yes

I would expect yours to state that there were errors found and what
the issuing command was. If so, could you post it so that we can help
you debug this issue. - MLD

I have the same problem. g77 is not the source of failure I wrote a
small
fortran programm
and g77 test.f produces a.out which runs fine. It must be something
wrong
with conftest.f
I guess.

If you have a osx 10.5 (leopard) you can try to install gnuradio from
macports
sudo port install gnuradio

Can I have your config.log? Also I would like to have config.log from a
working gnuradio installation.

My System:

uname -m = Power Macintosh
uname -r = 8.11.0
uname -s = Darwin
uname -v = Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007;
root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC

/usr/bin/uname -p = powerpc
/bin/uname -X = unknown

/bin/arch = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
/usr/bin/hostinfo = Mach kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007;
root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC
Kernel configured for a single processor only.
1 processor is physically available.
Processor type: ppc7450 (PowerPC 7450)
Processor active: 0
Primary memory available: 1.50 gigabytes
Default processor set: 67 tasks, 214 threads, 1 processors
Load average: 2.11, Mach factor: 0.44
/bin/machine = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel = unknown
/bin/universe = unknown

Is it a issue when reportet unkown ?

2009/8/8 Chukhman, Ilya A. [email protected]

On Aug 8, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Josef V. wrote:

If you have a osx 10.5 (leopard) you can try to install gnuradio
from macports
sudo port install gnuradio

The MacPorts portfiles for GNU Radio (everything that can be compiled
on OSX except possibly qtgui) were added at the end of last week, and
reflect the 3.2 release. I’ll update them to 3.2.2 “sometime real soon
now” – not difficult, just finding the 20 solid minutes to do it &
test the changes.

Please note that the USRP (and related) port will not yet install
using just MacPorts because they changed the way libusb-legacy 0.1.12
is installed (grrr). Hopefully the MacPorts folks will come to some
sense of recognition that being able to transparently switch between
libusb-compat and libusb-legacy would be -a good thing- (i.e., not
having to change the dependent source code in any way), and update
those (respective) portfile to allow only one of them to be installed
at any given time and then any port requiring LIBUSB (not 1.0) would
still work correctly via either one being installed. I’m still
arguing the case to them …

This restriction on libusb filenames can easily be overcome either by
setting the USB environment variables, or changing the usrp_libusb.m4
file to check for both “libusb.pc” and “libusb-legacy.pc”. Again,
I’ll get to this change “real soon now”. In the mean time, you can
always install LIBUSB 0.1.12 from source in the usual way & that will
work.

I’ll send an update when these issues are fixed in the MacPorts
release. - MLD

Did you ever find the solution to this? I have the same errors, and
have not
been able to figure it out… my python is okay - my C and Fortran are
nil.

http://www.nabble.com/OS-X-Configure-script-error-tp24867821p26065147.html

You were right, I did not have a Fortran compiler installed. I
installed g77 but still get the same error. I also checked
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5/
and there is Python.h in that directory.

Here is a part of config.log

Thanks,
Ilya

configure:20010: checking Python.h usability
configure:20010: g77 -c -g -O2 conftest.f >&5
In file included from conftest.f:0:
conftest.f:16: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:17: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:18: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:19: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:20: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:21: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:22: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:23: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:24: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:25: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:26: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:27: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:28: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:29: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:30: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:31: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:32: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:33: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:34: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:35: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:36: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:37: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:38: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:39: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:40: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:41: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:42: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:43: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:44: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:45: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:46: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:47: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:48: error: undefined or invalid # directive
conftest.f:49: error: undefined or invalid # directive
configure:20010: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h /
| #define PACKAGE_NAME “”
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME “”
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION “”
| #define PACKAGE_STRING “”
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT “”
| #define PACKAGE_URL “”
| #define PACKAGE “gnuradio”
| #define VERSION “3.3svn”
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define EXTENSIONS 1
| #define _ALL_SOURCE 1
| #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
| #define _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS 1
| #define _TANDEM_SOURCE 1
| #define CXX_HAS_STD_ISNAN /**/
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define LT_OBJDIR “.libs/”
| /
end confdefs.h. /
| #include <stdio.h>
| #ifdef HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
| # include <sys/types.h>
| #endif
| #ifdef HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
| # include <sys/stat.h>
| #endif
| #ifdef STDC_HEADERS
| # include <stdlib.h>
| # include <stddef.h>
| #else
| # ifdef HAVE_STDLIB_H
| # include <stdlib.h>
| # endif
| #endif
| #ifdef HAVE_STRING_H
| # if !defined STDC_HEADERS && defined HAVE_MEMORY_H
| # include <memory.h>
| # endif
| # include <string.h>
| #endif
| #ifdef HAVE_STRINGS_H
| # include <strings.h>
| #endif
| #ifdef HAVE_INTTYPES_H
| # include <inttypes.h>
| #endif
| #ifdef HAVE_STDINT_H
| # include <stdint.h>
| #endif
| #ifdef HAVE_UNISTD_H
| # include <unistd.h>
| #endif
| #include <Python.h>
configure:20010: result: no
configure:20010: checking Python.h presence
configure:20010: gcc -E
-I/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
conftest.f
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: conftest.f: Fortran compiler not installed
on this system
configure:20010: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /
confdefs.h /
| #define PACKAGE_NAME “”
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME “”
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION “”
| #define PACKAGE_STRING “”
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT “”
| #define PACKAGE_URL “”
| #define PACKAGE “gnuradio”
| #define VERSION “3.3svn”
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define EXTENSIONS 1
| #define _ALL_SOURCE 1
| #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
| #define _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS 1
| #define _TANDEM_SOURCE 1
| #define CXX_HAS_STD_ISNAN /**/
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define LT_OBJDIR “.libs/”
| /
end confdefs.h. */
| #include <Python.h>
configure:20010: result: no
configure:20010: checking for Python.h

On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:41 PM, cptpatmcd wrote:

Did you ever find the solution to this? I have the same errors, and
have not
been able to figure it out… my python is okay - my C and Fortran
are nil.

Yes; see <
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/commit/?id=acdf13612f55c3a4abd4f2f05d759a4fd2fdf7d0

for the first changeset – the one that introduced the bug
discussed in this thread – followed up by <
gnuradio.git - GNU Radio
to fix the introduced bug.

Luckily, or not, this wasn’t an OSX-specific issue; the eventual fix
was provided by Don W. for Cygwin, but was applicable to OSX and all
other platforms as well!

Solution in this case: Upgrade to a newer master / trunk. - MLD