Opposite of Thread.wakeup


#1

If I create a thread and don’t want it to be eligible to run until I
decide to make it eligible later, how do I make it sleep? In other
words, what’s the opposite of Thread.wakeup?

Thread::stop stops the execution of the current thread. I need a way
to stop execution of a thread that is not the current thread so that
it won’t be scheduled.


#2

Mark V. wrote:

If I create a thread and don’t want it to be eligible to run until I
decide to make it eligible later, how do I make it sleep? In other
words, what’s the opposite of Thread.wakeup?

Thread::stop stops the execution of the current thread. I need a way
to stop execution of a thread that is not the current thread so that
it won’t be scheduled.

You use a ConditionVariable. See the Queue example at
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?MultiThreading
You need to invoke cond.wait and cond.signal. HTH

Kind regards

robert

#3

On 1/10/06, Robert K. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?MultiThreading
You need to invoke cond.wait and cond.signal. HTH

That will definitely work, but I was hoping for something simpler like
a Thread.stop instance method. I suppose that isn’t supported because
it is considered unsafe for the same reason it is deprecated in Java.


#4

Quoting Mark V. removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

If I create a thread and don’t want it to be eligible to run
until I decide to make it eligible later, how do I make it sleep?
In other words, what’s the opposite of Thread.wakeup?

Thread::stop stops the execution of the current thread. I need a
way to stop execution of a thread that is not the current thread
so that it won’t be scheduled.

Stop it at what point in its execution, though? You don’t want to
go stopping it at some random place, where it might be holding a
lock.

The best way to do this is to establish some communication channel
between the threads, sending a message to the thread in response to
which it can call Thread::stop in a known-safe place.

-mental


#5

Mark V. wrote:

You use a ConditionVariable. See the Queue example at
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?MultiThreading
You need to invoke cond.wait and cond.signal. HTH

That will definitely work, but I was hoping for something simpler like
a Thread.stop instance method. I suppose that isn’t supported because
it is considered unsafe for the same reason it is deprecated in Java.

Depending on your application you can use the std library’s Queue.
Client
push tasks into the queue and you have a processor that blocks if it’s
trying to read from an empty queue.

robert

#6

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:21:28 +0900, Mark V.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

If I create a thread and don’t want it to be eligible to run until I
decide to make it eligible later, how do I make it sleep? In other
words, what’s the opposite of Thread.wakeup?

Thread::stop stops the execution of the current thread. I need a way
to stop execution of a thread that is not the current thread so that
it won’t be scheduled.

If you want to stop it right at the beginning then perhaps this
might be sufficient for your purposes:

thr = Thread.new {Thread.stop; puts “thr running now”}

stuff

thr.run

andrew