Openssl Upgrade Producing "Cipher is not a class (TypeError"

Hi guys,

I am having a really annoying problem trying to start my webrick server.

It has got to do with the openssl bindings for ruby. I recently
performed an upgrade of the following packages:

libopenssl-ruby1.8 (1.8.7.72-1ubuntu0.1) to 1.8.7.72-1ubuntu0.2
libreadline-ruby1.9 (1.9.0.2-7ubuntu1.1) to 1.9.0.2-7ubuntu1.2
libruby1.8 (1.8.7.72-1ubuntu0.1) to 1.8.7.72-1ubuntu0.2
libruby1.9 (1.9.0.2-7ubuntu1.1) to 1.9.0.2-7ubuntu1.2
ruby1.8-dev (1.8.7.72-1ubuntu0.1) to 1.8.7.72-1ubuntu0.2

and now when I start my webrick server I get the following error:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/openssl/cipher.rb:22: Cipher is not a class
(TypeError)

My ruby version is:

ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i686-linux]

I am running Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10

I have tried to downgrade to the previous packages, but I am not sure if
I did it correclty.

I am about to pull my hair out, if anybody can stop this from happening
I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

Lee

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Lee F.[email protected] wrote:

(TypeError)

My ruby version is:

ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i686-linux]

All the ruby1.8 packages mentioned are 1.8.7.x while the running ruby
is 1.8.6.x?

I am running Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10

I have tried to downgrade to the previous packages, but I am not sure if
I did it correclty.

You know that it was working properly before the last update?

All the ruby1.8 packages mentioned are 1.8.7.x while the running ruby
is 1.8.6.x?

I had been running ruby 1.8.6 for some time now with the packages at
versions 1.8.7 and it had not caused any problems. That particular
update must have caused a conflict somewhere that was just never exposed
up till now.

Fortunately, I solved the issue by downgrading the offending packages to
1.8.6 compatible versions. I manually downloaded the packages from the
jaunty updates repository as they are not available in the intrepid
repos.

When I installed the 1.8.6 versions of libruby and libopenssl-ruby,
everything worked fine.

thank you for highlighting the version incompatibility. The underlying
cause was that I am using a manual 1.8.6 installation of ruby rather
than the 1.8.7 version that is supplied by the intrepid repos.

All works now and I still have a thick head of hair!

thanks

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs