OpenGL GUI bits and ssh and segmentation faults

It seems that when I try to run a GUI-based Gnu Radio app across an SSH
connection
(using ssh -X), it provokes a fairly rapid segmentation fault and
dies. Doesn’t seem to
matter whether it’s my own app, or a “standard” one like usrp2_fft.py.

If I switch to using “nongl”, it doesn’t segfault, but the scope sink
isn’t rendered properly in that
case :frowning:

This is on a Fedora 12 system, totally up-to-date, with Gnu Radio GIT
from July 30th, 2010. It’s
a 32-bit Atom D512 system with 4G of memory.

Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium

use a vnc, X forwarding does not do that great of a job for performance

Hi Marcus,

We seem to have the same system setup.
Can you give us a screenshots using nongl and gl that isnt rendered
properly, I’m interested to see if I can replicate it

I have not yet seen any problems tuning the USRP in nongl mode (using F9
was able to control the USRP without worrying about OpenGl remotely).

Crypted stuff sure will slow down (like SSH),
Patrik

Can you give us a screenshots using nongl and gl that isnt rendered
properly, I’m interested to see if I can replicate it
I’ll see what I can do WRT screen shots.

I have not yet seen any problems tuning the USRP in nongl mode (using
F9 I was able to control the USRP without worrying about OpenGl
remotely).

Crypted stuff sure will slow down (like SSH),
Patrik

Encryption slows things down only a tiny little bit these days, even on
“whimpy” things like
the Atom series CPUs.

Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium

use a vnc, X forwarding does not do that great of a job for performance

I’ve never had a problem using my own GUI based on XForms, using X11
forwarding
over SSH.

Performance is one thing, but dumpething of the core is quite another.
Interestingly enough,
GRC works over an X11-over-SSH connection, and I thought it used the
GL rendering.