Open3.popen3 hangs on windows

I’m working on a JRuby application that automates running gems by using
popen3 and found what appears to be a bug.

Using Open3.popen3(‘jruby someGem -v’) hangs JRuby on Windows. On
Ubuntu it works as expected. Is there a workaround for this? I found a
similar issue in JIRA.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3520


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM, [email protected] wrote:

I’m working on a JRuby application that automates running gems by using
popen3 and found what appears to be a bug.

Using Open3.popen3(‘jruby someGem -v’) hangs JRuby on Windows. Â On Ubuntu it
works as expected. Â Is there a workaround for this? Â I found a similar issue
in JIRA.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3520

Hmm interesting. Completely hangs, as in it never returns? Should be
easy for us to reproduce.

Can you do that, hit Ctrl+Break (to get a thread dump) and add your
dump to that bug please?

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On 10-01-14 03:43 PM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:

Hmm interesting. Completely hangs, as in it never returns? Should be
http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

I did additional testing and it’s limited to the bundled JRuby in
NetBeans 6.8.

If the same code is run from a direct install of JRuby 1.4.0 then it
works as expected.


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On 10-01-14 04:54 PM, [email protected] wrote:


works as expected.
Since it works fine when run from the proper environment, it’s likely
not a bug and just an issue of making sure the load path is correct. I
rewrote the application to call into the gems instead of using popen3.


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On 10-01-15 04:37 PM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

 http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

I’ll report it to them and see what they say.


To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Since it works fine when run from the proper environment, it’s likely not a
bug and just an issue of making sure the load path is correct. Â I rewrote
the application to call into the gems instead of using popen3.

If you feel up to it, you might report it to the NetBeans guys, so
they at least have it in their queue.

  • Charlie

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs