From: “Javier Hidalgo Villegas” [email protected]
To: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: Open Source Project

I’m very interested but i’m new to RoR

Javier Hidalgo V.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Pankaj Sisodiya
[email protected] wrote:

Hi;

Any one interested to Start a Open Source Project in Ruby

Thanks,

Pankaj Sisodiya

What type of project?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:50:33AM +0900, Pankaj Sisodiya wrote:

Any one interested to Start a Open Source Project in Ruby

I suspect that many of us start new open source projects in Ruby on a
semi-regular basis. I have a few such (very) small projects myself. I
get the impression you are asking because you want something to work on
as a way to polish your Ruby skills and contribute to open source
software, though, which prompts some questions:

  1. What kind of interests do you have that could be aided by software?

  2. Do you feel a need to be in on the ground floor of a project, or
    would
    you be happy starting out by working on items in the issue tracker of an
    established project (if it is a small and easily-enough grasped
    codebase)?

  3. Do you feel the need for some mentoring, or do you basically just
    want
    to dig into the code?

If you’re looking for something fairly small and easily understood at
first, and are willing to work on items in an issue tracker, and if
working on a dice roller library and associated IRC dicebot sounds
interesting to you, feel free to contact me off-list for some guidance
on
how you can contribute to a small project of mine. It’s functional and
useful, and I actually use it regularly (as do a small number of other
users), but it is still simple enough to be fairly easily grokked, to
invite hacking and maybe contribution efforts by relatively
inexperienced
Rubyists, and moving forward enough with ideas for future development to
benefit materially from more users (testing it) and contributors.

Chad P. wrote in post #1005118:

[...]

I’m fairly new to Ruby and looking to get my feet wet. Any help or
direction getting involved in an open source project would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks