Online app to be developed using RoR and sqlite3

Hi all,
I want to implement a web based application(A B2C e-commerce web site
selling textbooks) using Ruby on rails as my server side scripting lang
and squlite3 as my database.Can any body give me a clue as to how to
start?

Regards and Respects,

Kindness in thought leads to wisdom.
Kindness in speech leads to eloquence.
Kindness in action leads to love

Do you have any experience with programming in Ruby or Rails? I’m just
trying to gauge what you already know, so I can start somewhere
relevant.

One thing I would suggest that you do is check out Spree. (
http://spreecommerce.com). It’s an open-source Ruby on Rails store
system,
and just might do what you’re looking for out of the box.

Nicholas Y.
[email protected]

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Oluwayomi . O.Oluwadara
<[email protected]

Oluwayomi . O.Oluwadara wrote:

Hi all,
I want to implement a web based application(A B2C e-commerce web site
selling textbooks) using Ruby on rails as my server side scripting lang
and squlite3 as my database.

No, you do not want to use SQLite as your production DB. It’s OK for
development, but it’s not really meant to deal with concurrent requests.
Use a real multiuser DB such as PostgreSQL.

Check out http://guides.rails.info.

Regards and Respects,

Kindness in thought leads to wisdom.
Kindness in speech leads to eloquence.
Kindness in action leads to love

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Oluwayomi O. wrote:

Thanks Maren. Unfortunately, the DB you advised was not among the ones
specified for use.

What were the ones specified?

Its a college project that need to be completed in
December. Moreso,Am completely new to ruby on rails.I am really learning
by reading the text"agile web development  with rails.Any further
assistance will be appreciatedÂ

If it’s a college project, then isn’t your professor the first person to
ask?

Regards and Respects,

Kindness in thought leads to wisdom.
Kindness in speech leads to eloquence.
Kindness in action leads to love.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

Thanks Maren. Unfortunately, the DB you advised was not among the ones
specified for use.Its a college project that need to be completed in
December. Moreso,Am completely new to ruby on rails.I am really learning
by reading the text"agile web development  with rails.Any further
assistance will be appreciatedÂ
Regards and Respects,

Kindness in thought leads to wisdom.
Kindness in speech leads to eloquence.
Kindness in action leads to love.

— On Tue, 11/10/09, Marnen Laibow-Koser

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser [email protected]
Subject: [Rails] Re: online app to be developed using RoR and sqlite3
To: [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 3:59 PM

Oluwayomi . O.Oluwadara wrote:

Hi all,
I want to implement a web based application(A B2C e-commerce web site
selling textbooks) using Ruby on rails as my server side scripting lang
and squlite3 as my database.

No, you do not want to use SQLite as your production DB. It’s OK for
development, but it’s not really meant to deal with concurrent requests.
Use a real multiuser DB such as PostgreSQL.

Can any body give me a clue as to how to
start?

Check out http://guides.rails.info.

Regards and Respects,

Kindness in thought leads to wisdom.
Kindness in speech leads to eloquence.
Kindness in action leads to love

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Oluwayomi . O.Oluwadara
[email protected] wrote:

Hi all,
I want to implement a web based application(A B2C e-commerce web site selling textbooks) using Ruby on rails as my server side scripting lang and squlite3 as my database.Can any body give me a clue as to how to start?

rails ecommerce

That should be enough to have your basic rails application with a
SQLite database for each environment.

Leonardo M…
There’s no place like ~

Oluwayomi O. wrote:

Its a coursework-do on your own thing.The specified Db are  oracle,MS
SQL or MySQL

Then go for mySQL. It’s a reasonable second choice. Oracle might be
worth a look too.

Better yet, ask your professor if you can use PostgreSQL instead.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Oluwayomi O.
[email protected] wrote:

Its a coursework-do on your own thing.The specified Db are oracle,MS SQL or MySQL

SQLite isn’t there either.

Leonardo M…
There’s no place like ~

Its a coursework-do on your own thing.The specified Db are  oracle,MS
SQL or MySQL

Regards and Respects,

Kindness in thought leads to wisdom.
Kindness in speech leads to eloquence.