ONLamp.com Tutorial Trouble

I have installed Ruby on Rails and the latest version of MySQL in my
Windows XP machine and I am following a demo from ONLamp.com
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html?page=3. I am
3/5 down the page where it says:

“Open a browser and navigate to http://127.0.0.1:3000/recipe/new. You
should see something like Figure 32.”

Instead of a page like Figure 32, I get an error that looks something
like this:

"Mysql::Error in Recipe#new

#28000Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)

RAILS_ROOT: ./script/…/config/…"

A friend told me that the latest version of MySQL handles passwords in a
way that is incompatible with the current RoR release. He suggested that
I configure MySQL to use the old password format. Using the MySQL system
tray monitor I configured the instance and set MySQL to use the old
password format. Since that didn’t seem to do the trick, I restarted the
PC. That didn’t do it either, I still get the same error. I checked the
configuration for the instance and the use old passwords setting in the
Security tab is still checked.

I looked at my.ini and at the bottom it reads:

#Use old password encryption method (needed for 4.0 and older clients).
old-passwords”

I am guessing that means MySQL is using the old password format when it
launches the service. Am I right or do I have to force it to read those
settings somehow?

I am beginning to think that my problem is not the old password format
but something else. I have followed the tutorial closely and I don’t
think I have made any mistakes, at least that I didn’t already correct.
What could be causing this error? How do I specify the password so I
can get past this error? What am I missing?

Thanks!

I figured out a way around the problem. I removed the password from the
root account and now the page displays as expected. I still would like
to know how to get the password to go through properly without
generating an error.

Hi Alex,

What password do you have specified for ‘root’ for this database in your
database.yml file?

Bill