[off topic] Best choice of word

We’re working on a simple Rails app that solves a common problem for
groups of people. It’s not yet another social network, tough. :slight_smile:

The thing is that we’re trying to find an appropriate word, in
English, to refer to “group”. We wouldn’t like to use “group”, because
it often reminds us of discussion groups, which has nothing to do with
the app we’re building. So, we’ve been thinking of such words as:

  1. party
  2. gathering
  3. fraternity
  4. team
  5. troop
  6. assembly
  7. horde
  8. squad
  9. guild
  10. league
  11. crowd
  12. bunch
  13. flock
  14. coalition
  15. club
  16. band
  17. mob
  18. cluster
  19. fellowship
  20. brotherhood

I’m Brazilian, so my native language is Portuguese. I certainly have a
feeling about which of these words are the most appropriate for the
matter, but I’m pretty sure that most of you, native English speakers,
can point out the best choice of word better than myself.

The application can be used by people of all ages. But we’d prefer to
focus on youngsters. So, we’re looking for a word that best describes
“group” in youngsters parlance. Can any of you give me a tip on that?

BTW, the application will be released shortly and will be free. I’ll
send you the link and I hope it will also be useful for you.

If that’s too off topic for the list, please accept my apologies. I
was wondering if I really should send the message in the first place
till I realize that the only way to know was actually sending the email.

Cheers.

Vinícius Teles

Improve It
Rio: +55 21 3521-6760
São Paulo: +55 11 3711-3423
Celular: +55 21 8716-5434

I’d consider ‘team’ or ‘collaboration’. ‘Guild’ or ‘league’ may also
work, but it is difficult to say without knowing the purpose of the
site.

On Mar 26, 10:14 am, Vinicius Manhaes Teles

Thanks a lot!

The site has a very specific purpose. It is a place we’re a group of
people can store each one’s personal contact info and birthday. My
college classmates have created a Yahoo discussion group back in the
nineties. These days, we use the discussion group to keep in touch.
The thing is that people update cell phone numbers and email and it’s
a mess to keep track of it. Of course, we could use Google Apps, or a
simple spreadsheet in the files section, but none of us really like to
use these things. So we just created this site where we keep phone
numbers, emails and birthdays. Sure, there are probably dozens os
sites that do the same, but since we didn’t find any that would please
us yet, we decided to do something really, really simple and easy to
use.

Considering this purpose, do you believe ‘team’ or ‘collaboration’ are
still the best choice?

Cheers

Em 26/03/2008, às 11:44, ebrad escreveu:

The thing is that we’re trying to find an appropriate word, in
5. troop
16. band
can point out the best choice of word better than myself.
till I realize that the only way to know was actually sending the

Vinícius Teles

Improve It
Rio: +55 21 3521-6760
São Paulo: +55 11 3711-3423
Celular: +55 21 8716-5434

community ?

[...]

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Vinicius Manhaes Teles
[email protected] wrote:

‘community’ is perfect, in terms of semantics. But I have a strange
feeling about it. It seems to me as a word that people overuse.

Oh, lord, yes :slight_smile:

The application can be used by people of all ages. But we’d prefer to
focus on youngsters. So, we’re looking for a word that best describes
“group” in youngsters parlance.

You might want to define “youngsters” – that could cover a pretty
wide range, depending on the age of the reader :slight_smile:

Oh, and your list was missing ‘posse’.

Hassan S. ------------------------ [email protected]

Hey, Bill, thank you.

I have thought about ‘community’ but I forgot to mention it. The word
‘community’ is perfect, in terms of semantics. But I have a strange
feeling about it. It seems to me as a word that people overuse. It’s
like an abused word, specially in these times of social networks. But
maybe, this concern of mine is unjustified. What do you think?

Em 26/03/2008, às 13:40, Bill W. escreveu:

  1. fraternity
  2. coalition
    can point out the best choice of word better than myself.
    till I realize that the only way to know was actually sending the

Vinícius Teles

Improve It
Rio: +55 21 3521-6760
São Paulo: +55 11 3711-3423
Celular: +55 21 8716-5434

Is choosing an english word important ? You may also look at other
languages
for some funky sounding word. Sometimes it just works like it did for
Ubuntu
:slight_smile:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Hassan S. <

Hassan,

Em 26/03/2008, às 17:21, Hassan S. escreveu:

‘community’ is perfect, in terms of semantics. But I have a strange
feeling about it. It seems to me as a word that people overuse.

Oh, lord, yes :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

You might want to define “youngsters” – that could cover a pretty
wide range, depending on the age of the reader :slight_smile:

That’s true. Ok, say 14 to 21. :slight_smile:

Oh, and your list was missing ‘posse’.

Sure, thanks!

Vinícius Teles

Improve It
Rio: +55 21 3521-6760
São Paulo: +55 11 3711-3423
Celular: +55 21 8716-5434

Given the nature of the application why not use a qualitative collective
word like “friends/friend” or “buds/bud” (colloquialism for “buddies”).

You,ve got a point. As a matter of fact, there’s a word in Portuguese
that’s just perfect for the meaning we want to express: ‘galera’.
Maybe we could use it and add some explanation. I like this idea. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Em 26/03/2008, às 18:01, Piyush R. escreveu:

Good question.

We have a field that the user will have to fulfill that means ‘group
name’. So, the user has to give a name to the group. We thought that
asking ‘friends name’ or ‘buds name’ would be strange.

Em 26/03/2008, às 18:07, James B. escreveu:

Help us to understand your semantic requirements a bit more by
offering us the context in which your word will be used.

Is it to specify a group of people that a certain user has as a list
of people that they can store information about?

“Group” is the generic word here. Just because Yahoo and Google have
used groups to mean user-groups, or discussion-groups doesn’t
necessarily imply a qualitative colouring on any further use of the
word “group” in the future for humans in general, even in the context
of online web applications.

You’re free to define your own word! Why not “Splodge”, “Mash” or
“Funk”. How about “list”, “set” or “group of people”?

Julian.

How about “set”?

Julian

If the target is young people, I’d suggest using a colloquialism that
resonates
with their street parlance. Young folk love to use language that
adults don’t
understand (or, at least, don’t approve). I’m a bit too old to be
current on such
terminology, but two words occur to me:

peeps - meaning “my peoples”, or “the people of my neighborhood”. May
be a bit out
of fashion, but it has a synonymous connotation that that implies
“little” - so it would
be a cute word for younger children.

posse - which is street for close friends, but even more out-dated.

You might also consider the text messaging world and seek an
abbreviation or
acronym from that “language”. But I can’t help you there, because
texting is
beyond me.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Jim M.

On Mar 26, 8:38 pm, Vinicius Manhaes Teles

Thanks a lot, Jim!

The word that we’re looking for is precisely the kind that you’ve
described.

As soon as we finish the app, I’ll send you the link so you’ll know
what we’ve chosen.

Cheers

Vinícius Teles

Improve It
Rio: +55 21 3521-6760
São Paulo: +55 11 3711-3423
Celular: +55 21 8716-5434

Em 27/03/2008, às 10:32, JDM escreveu:

Hi, Julian.

Em 26/03/2008, às 22:05, Julian L. escreveu:

Help us to understand your semantic requirements a bit more by
offering us the context in which your word will be used.

Sure.

Is it to specify a group of people that a certain user has as a list
of people that they can store information about?

Exactly! And that’s it, nothing else.

“Group” is the generic word here. Just because Yahoo and Google have
used groups to mean user-groups, or discussion-groups doesn’t
necessarily imply a qualitative colouring on any further use of the
word “group” in the future for humans in general, even in the context
of online web applications.

Yes, you’re right. Maybe I shouldn’t be so concerned about this after
all.

Cheers,

Vinícius Teles

Improve It
Rio: +55 21 3521-6760
São Paulo: +55 11 3711-3423
Celular: +55 21 8716-5434

If it was me, I’d want to try for something with a reasonably long life
expectancy though. The problem w/slang is that it changes so often. So
what seems “funky fresh” today (har har) can be stale in a month. You
don’t want your site to give off a “rapping granny” vibe I don’t
think… :wink:

Personally, I liked your Portuguese word.

Also–if the members of this group are not the demographic you’re
courting, you’re probably better off looking elsewhere for advice.

Sorry to be such a negative Nelly…

Roy, you’re definitely right. As a matter of fact the answers in this
group have been very helpful.

Thanks a lot!

Vinícius Teles

Improve It