‘If I can do it then it can’t be done …’.
As Dr. Nick of the Simpsons Sez :
Hi Everybody !
I’m about to start my 1st Ruby on Rails (RoR) development project.
The development platform I’ll be using is a Mac running OSX 10.4
(i.e. : “Tiger”) & 10.5 (i.e. : “Leopard”).
Before I start this development project I have a few questions about
version numbers and some related issues :
- What is the most recent, stable version of Ruby ?
- What is the most recent, stable version of Ruby on Rails ?
- Do the 2 versions work together comfortably or are there
compatibility issues that I need to be aware of ?
- I’m planning on using MySQl as the back end database. What is the
best version I should be using bearing in mind the answers to
questions 1,2 & 3 above ?
- What Application Server would you recommend I use for this
- What source code editor do you recommend I use ? By the way, I’ve
been using TextWrangler from Bare Bones Software (version 2.2.1 (186 -
- and I’ve been pretty happy with it.
- And, finally, I haven’t been using an IDE. I find at this stage,
although I readily concede that they have some tremendous advantages,
I prefer to use just the source code editor as I need to understand
the structure of the Rails application and I prefer to work with the
source code and ancillary files directly. But, what IDE’s do you folks
(and, of course folkettes, no chauvinist, me) recommend or prefer ?
Finally, given that the global economy is currently imploding and the
Amerikan economy is disintegrating, I prefer to use free, open source
development tools if it is at all possible to do so.
I’d like to thank all of you in advance for your help.
Comme toujours, here is my contact information :
- Email : [email protected]
- Phone : 718-777-7731
The easiest times to reach me are in the mornings before 11:00 AM or
in the evening after about 7:00 PM.
All the best & talk to you soon … Simon.