params[:user][:password])
redirect_to :controller => ‘user’, :action => ‘pist’
else
redirect_to :controller => ‘user’, :action => ‘mane’
end

end

because it is producing this.

NoMethodError in UserController#login

You have a nil object when you didn’t expect it!
You might have expected an instance of Array.
The error occurred while evaluating nil.[]

RAILS_ROOT: ./script/…/config/…
Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

/Users/morgan/Sites/born/app/controllers/user_controller.rb:21:in
`login’

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1101:in
send' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1101:inperform_action_without_filters’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:696:in
call_filters' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:688:inperform_action_without_benchmark’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:66:in
perform_action_without_rescue' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:inmeasure’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:66:in
perform_action_without_rescue' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:83:inperform_action’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/base.rb:435:in
send' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/base.rb:435:inprocess_without_filters’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:684:in
process_without_session_management_support' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:114:inprocess’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/base.rb:334:in
process' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:indispatch’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:76:in
process' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:insynchronize’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in
process' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:159:inprocess_client’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:158:in
each' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:158:inprocess_client’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in
run' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:285:ininitialize’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in
new' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:285:inrun’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in
initialize' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:268:innew’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in
run' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:282:inrun’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in
each' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:inrun’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/bin/mongrel_rails:128:in
run' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/lib/mongrel/command.rb:212:inrun’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.4/bin/mongrel_rails:281
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in
load' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:inload’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in
new_constants_in' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:inload’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/servers/mongrel.rb:60
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
gem_original_require' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:inrequire’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in
require' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:innew_constants_in’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in
require' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/server.rb:39 /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:ingem_original_require’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require’
script/server:3

On Jul 14, 5:59 pm, Morgan M. [email protected]
wrote:

this is the bit of code i’m having a problem with… the odd thing… if
i remove all the code in the def login, reload the page so the view
actually shows up put the code back in the def login and submit the
form… it works just fine… but if i start with the code for the
login in the controller then it’s broken and starts giving me the errors
posted below.

Assuming that you have a single login action that both displays the
form and submits it then the problem is that if there are no
parameters then params[:user] will be nil and so params[:user][:login]
is nonsensical. When you submit the form however the parameters will
be there and so there’s no problem.
One way to deal with this would be to surround the relevant parts with
if request.post? …

Fred

Frederick C. wrote:

On Jul 14, 5:59�pm, Morgan M. [email protected]
wrote:

this is the bit of code i’m having a problem with… �the odd thing… �if
i remove all the code in the def login, �reload the page so the view
actually shows up put the code back in the def login and submit the
form… �it works just fine… � but if i start with the code for the
login in the controller then it’s broken and starts giving me the errors
posted below.

Assuming that you have a single login action that both displays the
form and submits it then the problem is that if there are no
parameters then params[:user] will be nil and so params[:user][:login]
is nonsensical. When you submit the form however the parameters will
be there and so there’s no problem.
One way to deal with this would be to surround the relevant parts with
if request.post? …

Fred

i thought that made sense… i just didn’t know how to do it… thank
you… FIXED.

if session[:user] = User.authenticate(params[:user][:login], params[:user][:password])

What is this line of code supposed to do? The syntax seems to me
completely wrong, hence Rails blowing on you.