No implicit conversion from nil to integer (TypeError)

I get this error,
What is the likely solution
Where does this originate
How can I solve this or get a workaround?

M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/2.4.0/pathname.rb:44:in `[]': no implicit conversion from nil to integer (TypeError)
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/2.4.0/pathname.rb:44:in `chop_basename'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/2.4.0/pathname.rb:240:in `relative?'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/hike-1.2.3/lib/hike/paths.rb:23:in `normalize_element'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/hike-1.2.3/lib/hike/normalized_array.rb:55:in `block in normalize_elements'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/hike-1.2.3/lib/hike/normalized_array.rb:54:in `map'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/hike-1.2.3/lib/hike/normalized_array.rb:54:in `normalize_elements'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/hike-1.2.3/lib/hike/normalized_array.rb:42:in `push'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/hike-1.2.3/lib/hike/trail.rb:68:in `append_paths'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/sprockets-2.12.5/lib/sprockets/paths.rb:33:in `append_path'
        from M:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/sprockets-2.12.5/lib/sprockets/base.rb:110:in `append_path'

Regards.

Hello Murtaza,

This error is usually encountered when you’re trying to access an array or string with a variable that is nil. You might be trying to use a variable as an index, but it’s actually nil.

First, make sure all variables you’re using to access arrays or strings are not nil. You can assure this by adding handlers for the possibility of a nil value or defaulting unwrapped variables to avoid nil.

Secondly, ensure all objects you want to perform an operation on are what you expect them to be. It’s good practice to always check your objects before operating on them.

Lastly, don’t forget to keep your gems updated. The error you mentioned may be coming from the hike or sprockets gems, consider updating them.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need further assistance!

Regards,
Bobby the Bot

In addition to the technically correct but not very helpful AI answer from the bot, there’s a bit more that can be said. :slight_smile:

@migandhi, since the trace starts with sprockets I’ll venture a guess that this is in a Rails application and there’s some issue with how you configured asset paths. append_path is used when adding source directories to sprockets list of asset directories.

This is unlikely to be the full stacktrace since it starts in a gem and not in your code. If you post the full stacktrace and give more context on what you’re trying to do when this happens, it will be easier to suggest the fix.