Nil error on ActiveRecord::save!

Hi,

I am trying to save an ActiveRecord object, and I am getting a strange
error - I checked and all of the required fields of the objects seem to
be present. Here is what I try to do:

self.user.save!

And the error is:

You have a nil object when you didn’t expect it!
You might have expected an instance of Array.
The error occurred while evaluating nil.+

Do you have an idea what it may be? When I put a debug statement right
before, and examined self.user, it showed as if it’s ok:

#<User:0xb70ea1e8 @attributes={“salt”=>“L8Qymoyol2O7rA==”,
“updated_at”=>“2007-12-30 09:58:06”, “details”=>“Valentin Chilaru, New
York NY”, “lock_version”=>nil,
“password_salt”=>“bf99b345ef5e9c70c9afeb9dbdebdaed9b09ca3f41bb714c749e7aac3647f989”,
“id”=>“3”, “exposure”=>“0”, “first_name”=>“Valentin”,
“login”=>“vchilaru”, “created_at”=>“2007-12-30 09:58:06”,
“balance”=>“1000”, “active”=>“1”}>

Thanks

stacktrace:

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:59:in
transaction' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:95:intransaction’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:121:in
transaction' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:133:insave!’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:123:in
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:123:inmethod_mis

On 12/30/07, Victor Al [email protected] wrote:

Do you have an idea what it may be?

Not really but you can test stuff before trying to save it:

self.user.save unless self.user.nil?

You can’t access user.errors to find the validation that failed if
user doesn’t first exist.

Greg D.
http://destiney.com/

Thanks, but as I said in my post, the user does exists (I have included
the user object as shown by ruby-debugger).

Greg D. wrote:

On 12/30/07, Victor Al [email protected] wrote:

Do you have an idea what it may be?

Not really but you can test stuff before trying to save it:

self.user.save unless self.user.nil?

You can’t access user.errors to find the validation that failed if
user doesn’t first exist.

Greg D.
http://destiney.com/

On 31 Dec 2007, at 17:57, Victor Al wrote:

Thanks, but as I said in my post, the user does exists (I have
included
the user object as shown by ruby-debugger).
There should be a backtrace in the logs/console when your error
occurs. That should guide you on your way.

Fred

How is the current object (self) associated with the user object? The
references to AssociationProxy in the stacktrace may be pointing in
that direction (malformed has_many/habtm/etc).

AndyV

On Dec 30 2007, 10:10 am, Victor Al [email protected]

I think you are right - this seems to me to be the only explanation for
this cryptic error about which I cannot see any more details. Thanks a
lot for suggesting it. I have a very simple polymorphic association set
up

activity.rb
belongs_to :transactionable, :polymorphic=>:true
belongs_to :user

user.rb
has_many :activities

and finally

transfer.rb
has_one :activity, :through=>:transactionable

So there is no fancy association between user and activity, just
belongs_to/has_many.
I am simply trying to get to the user from the activity with
activity.user.save! The polymorphic association is not even involved
here.

I know see one of the major drawbacks of Ruby as a language: very poor
error messages.

Thanks,
V

AndyV wrote:

How is the current object (self) associated with the user object? The
references to AssociationProxy in the stacktrace may be pointing in
that direction (malformed has_many/habtm/etc).

AndyV

On Dec 30 2007, 10:10 am, Victor Al [email protected]

error messages.

I’m going to have to disagree with you there. The error messages are
extremely detailed and the backtrace lets you see which files called
what
method on what line (unlike certain other languages).

Can you show us the complete method that you’re calling?

You could also try user.save! without the self.

Ryan B.

Feel free to add me to MSN and/or GTalk as this email.

Sure, here is the full error:

NoMethodError in ActivitiesController#new

RAILS_ROOT: script/…/config/…
Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/locking/optimistic.rb:64:in
update_without_callbacks' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:267:in update_without_timestamps’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/timestamp.rb:39:in
update' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/base.rb:1792:in create_or_update_without_callbacks’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:242:in
create_or_update' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/base.rb:1554:in save_without_validation!’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/validations.rb:762:in
save_without_transactions!' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:133:in save!’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:59:in
transaction' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:95:in transaction’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:121:in
transaction' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:133:in save!’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:123:in
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:123:in method_missing’
/home/victor/workspaces/grow/app/controllers/activities_controller.rb:76:in
update_user_balance' /home/victor/workspaces/grow/app/controllers/activities_controller.rb:33:in new’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/locking/optimistic.rb:64:in
update_without_callbacks' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:267:in update_without_timestamps’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/timestamp.rb:39:in
update' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/base.rb:1792:in create_or_update_without_callbacks’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:242:in
create_or_update' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/base.rb:1554:in save_without_validation!’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/validations.rb:762:in
save_without_transactions!' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:133:in save!’
transaction' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:95:in transaction’
transaction' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:133:in save!’
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/associations/association_proxy.rb:123:in method_missing’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1101:in
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1101:in perform_action_without_filters’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:696:in
call_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:688:in perform_action_without_benchmark’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:66:in
perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in measure’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:66:in
perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:83:in perform_action’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:435:in
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:435:in process_without_filters’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:684:in
process_without_session_management_support' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:114:in process’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:334:in
process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in dispatch’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:113:in
handle_dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:79:in service’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in service' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in run’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in each' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:63:in
dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59 /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in gem_original_require’
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in require’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in
new_constants_in' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in require’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/server.rb:39
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
gem_original_require' /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in require’
script/server:3

/home/victor/workspaces/grow/app/controllers/activities_controller.rb:76:in
update_user_balance' /home/victor/workspaces/grow/app/controllers/activities_controller.rb:33:in new’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1101:in
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1101:in perform_action_without_filters’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:696:in
call_filters' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:688:in perform_action_without_benchmark’
perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in measure’
perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:83:in perform_action’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:435:in
send' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:435:in process_without_filters’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:684:in
process_without_session_management_support' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:114:in process’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:334:in
process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in dispatch’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:113:in
handle_dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:79:in service’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in service' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in run’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start_thread' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in each' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in start' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in start’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/webrick_server.rb:63:in
dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59 /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in gem_original_require’
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in require’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in
new_constants_in' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in require’
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.5/lib/commands/server.rb:39
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
gem_original_require' /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in require’
script/server:3

Request

Parameters: {“commit”=>“Save changes”, “transfer”=>{“approval”=>“true”},
“activity”=>{“size”=>“1”, “transactionable_type”=>“Transfer”,
“description”=>“a”, “user_id”=>“3”}}

Show session dump

:current_user_id: 1
flash: !map:ActionController::Flash::FlashHash {}

Ryan B. wrote:

error messages.

I’m going to have to disagree with you there. The error messages are
extremely detailed and the backtrace lets you see which files called
what
method on what line (unlike certain other languages).

Can you show us the complete method that you’re calling?

You could also try user.save! without the self.

Ryan B.
http://www.frozenplague.net
Feel free to add me to MSN and/or GTalk as this email.

On Jan 3, 2008 8:52 PM, Victor Al [email protected]
wrote:

`update_without_callbacks’

And what is in this file?

I’d bet it has something to do with lock_version being nil.

Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net
http://mephistoblog.com

There should be a much bigger backtrace than just that. Show us all of
it
please.

What exactly would that mean and how would I fix it?
If you want to see a larger stacktrace how would I get that?

Thanks.

Rick O. wrote:

On Jan 3, 2008 8:52 PM, Victor Al [email protected]
wrote:

Rick O.

On Jan 4, 2008 1:29 AM, Victor Al [email protected]
wrote:

Victor,

First off, you really should learn not to top-post, adding your
comments to the end rather than the beginning of messages (after
appropriately trimming what’s being quoted, makes it much easier to
follow the thread.

That said, let me expand on Rick’s sage nudge on what to look for.

Here are three lines from
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/active_record/locking/optimistic.rb
starting with line 62, as the name of the file implies this has to do
with ActiveRecord’s optimistic locking feature.

lock_col = self.class.locking_column
    previous_value = send(lock_col)
    send(lock_col + '=', previous_value + 1)

Now what’s blowing up is that previous_value + 1, and previous_value
is obviously nil from the error message.

Where did previous value come from? Well it came from an attribute in
the AR object whose name came from the class method locking_column,
which unless you’ve overridden it, will return the name of the
standard attribute name which AR uses for the lock field which is
lock_version.

Note that you posted this:

#<User:0xb70ea1e8 @attributes={“salt”=>“L8Qymoyol2O7rA==”,
“updated_at”=>“2007-12-30 09:58:06”, “details”=>“Valentin Chilaru, New
York NY”, “lock_version”=>nil,

Showing that lock_version is indeed nil.

Okay, now that we know that, we need to look at how AR expects you to
set up lock_version. By convention it should be an integer field with
a default value of 0, and this should be defined in a migration.

class FixLockVersionInUser < ActiveRecord::Migration
def self.up
execute “UPDATE users SET lock_version = 0 WHERE lock_version
IS NULL”
change_column :users, :lock_version, :integer, :default => 0
end

def self.down
    # You can probably just leave this out but to be pro-forma we

put things back the way they were on a down.
change_column :users, :lock_version, :integer
end
end

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

Thanks for expanding that, Rick :slight_smile:

FWIW, Rails 2.0.x should fix this by calling #to_i on the nil value
first. I can’t remember exactly when the fix was applied, so it might
be in the next release of rails. It’s definitely in edge.

Rick O.

On Jan 4, 2008 4:00 PM, Rick O. [email protected] wrote:

Hey, we Ricks need to hang together!

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby

Rick Denatale wrote:

On Jan 4, 2008 4:00 PM, Rick O. [email protected] wrote:

Hey, we Ricks need to hang together!

Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby

Guys, thanks a lot for helping me find the cause of this error! I now
know to look more carefully at the error log. I had no idea this was due
to the locking being nil, and I was going to mistakenly stop using
polymorphic associations thinking it was due to it.