Nginx serving old version of CSS file

I have spent 2 hours trying to get to the bottom of a problem and am
utterly stumped. I am certain it must be something I’m doing wrong, and
NOT an nginx problem, but I can’t think for the life of me what it might
be. What is happening is that nginx is serving up a version of a CSS
file which I overwrote a couple of hours ago. It’s version 0.7.65
running on Linux. I have a CSS file called temp.css, which I have in the
/css folder below the root of a virtual host called kf.dev. If I look in
the folder and view the file with less, I can see it’s the correct one.
But when I do ‘wget http://kf.dev/css/temp.css’ I get an old version. In
fact, when I try in Firefox to see a page which uses this css file, it
doesn’t display properly and when I click on the CSS link in View
Source, I see the old version with what appears to be a load of binary
characters at the bottom (they display as little question marks against
black diamonds). As I say, I am completely stumped. Where could nginx be
getting this from? I have determined that there is in fact only one file
actually called this on the hard drive, so it can’t be finding the wrong
copy of the file. I’m beginning to think this might be some weird
operating system level corruption. Possible?

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:16 AM, John M. [email protected] wrote:

and when I click on the CSS link in View Source, I see the old version with
what appears to be a load of binary characters at the bottom (they display
as little question marks against black diamonds). As I say, I am completely
stumped. Where could nginx be getting this from? I have determined that
there is in fact only one file actually called this on the hard drive, so
it can’t be finding the wrong copy of the file. I’m beginning to think this
might be some weird operating system level corruption. Possible?

Did you turn on open_file_cache in your configuration? It’s buggy.

Regards,

On 21/11/11 05:30, Joshua Z. wrote:

Did you turn on open_file_cache in your configuration? It’s buggy.

No, I didn’t. I actually made no change to the configuration other than
adding the virtual host.

I have, for the moment, solved the problem by moving the root to a
different location, with the result that the CSS is now served fine. I
think it must be to do with a bug in VirtualBox, which I have been using
to provide virtualization. I have a Linux virtual machine running under
Windows 7. I had moved the virtual host’s root to a folder shared from
the host, so I could work on the website under Windows 7 (and have it
served by a Linux server). I think there must be a bug in the shared
folder functionality in the version of VirtualBox I’m using.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs