Nginx gets best performance on Gentoo or Ubuntu does not scale

I came across this post on the net
http://snaprails.tumblr.com/post/325624962/linux-performance-benchmark-apache-nginx

The author did some benchmarks and concluded that Ubuntu and Debian had
some problems with web scalability while Gentoo got outstanding
performance.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Regards,

Dinh

Posted at Nginx Forum:

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 03:24:36AM -0500, pcdinh wrote:

I came across this post on the net http://snaprails.tumblr.com/post/325624962/linux-performance-benchmark-apache-nginx

The author did some benchmarks and concluded that Ubuntu and Debian had some problems with web scalability while Gentoo got outstanding performance.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

The author of the benchmarks should look inside the error logs to see
the failure reasons.

Igor S.
http://sysoev.ru/en/

Depends on what the person doing the benchmark wanted to archieve as
there
are quite more system settings (which by default in different
distributions
differ) regarding tcp / webserver finetuning rather than a simple ‘open
file
limits’ (and even there you can see the author having some trouble).

If the topic was to find a distribution which works best without doing
anything then maybe you can go with it…

Other than that its not very related to nginx performance.

p.s. also sometimes its ‘ab’ which fails at making high concurent
connection
count and not the webserver… should use some other tools (like httperf
/
siege etc)
to verify the “FAIL”

rr