Nginx flv module and amazon storage

Hello,

Quick question before trying it for myself. Is it possible to use
nginx’s flv module with flv files stores on amazon’s storage cloud?

What i’m trying to achieve is to host the flv files on amazon and
serve the flv files with nginx. Any hints on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Actually flv module works on local files, while -if you are referring to
S3-
it is stored remotely.
Or, if you are talking about having an EC2 instance using EBS storage it
is
possible.

Regards,
Istvan

2009/10/11 Fernando Flórez [email protected]

I’m talking about S3. I know it works with local files but i was
hoping to be wrong :slight_smile:

Thanks!

El 11/10/2009, a las 16:23, István escribió:

Id also love a module like this.

something that converts the start= line it a content range for a
proxy_pass and then returns the data as a normal 200 (from the byte
range)

It would make me a very happy man.

Kingsley

I’m talking about S3. I know it works with local files but i was hoping
to be wrong :slight_smile:

Thanks!

El 11/10/2009, a las 16:23, István escribió:

Actually flv module works on local files, while -if you are referring
to S3- it is stored remotely.

Or, if you are talking about having an EC2 instance using EBS storage
it is possible.

Regards,
Istvan

2009/10/11 Fernando Flórez [email protected]

Hello,

Quick question before trying it for myself. Is it possible to use

nginx’s flv module with flv files stores on amazon’s storage cloud?

What i'm trying to achieve is to host the flv files on amazon and

serve the flv files with nginx. Any hints on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

the sun shines for all

You could use proxy_store to save a local copy to the local drive, and
serve from nginx after that.

However I am not sure if this would work wrt streaming.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Kingsley F.

not rellay a cheap solution :slight_smile:

Hello!

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 04:12:58PM -0500, Fernando Flórez wrote:

Hello,

Quick question before trying it for myself. Is it possible to use
nginx’s flv module with flv files stores on amazon’s storage cloud?

What i’m trying to achieve is to host the flv files on amazon and
serve the flv files with nginx. Any hints on how to accomplish this?

As it was already said, flv module works only with local files.

If you really need to store your files in S3 and want flv
pseudo-streaming to work, you may try
http://mdounin.ru/hg/ngx_http_bytes_filter_module/ instead.

Please note that every single request will download full file to
your nginx host, and non-needed parts (i.e. skipped by streaming)
will be thrown away. It’s probably a good idea to configure
proxy_cache to avoid such excessive downloads.

Maxim D.

what is the advantage of this over the amazon cdn,
Low-Latency Content Delivery Network (CDN) - Amazon CloudFront - Amazon Web Services ?
now this is really offtopic, we can move to private with this thread

Why? You use the proxy_store mechanism as a cache - it would only keep
the most used videos.

In return you save on paying s3 outgoing bandwidth (and your own
provider for incoming bandwith). Instead you only pay for your
outgoing bandwidth on your local server for the times a cache hits.

I don’t do this for videos, but for images - instead of serving '000s
of tb of data each month from s3, I use my local server which will do
the same traffic for a third of the price.

you have understand two things:
-youtube is not a real stream, it is just serving you flv file and that
is
it
-real streaming is also possible with flash using it own protocol:

Using a CDN and the first case is suitable in the most cases.

2009/10/12 Fernando Flórez [email protected]

Thats why i wrote “http streaming” with quotes.

The rtmp protocol is open source btw, you have mainly 3 options:

  • Flash Media Server (Adobe product)
  • Wowza media
  • Red5 (open source)

Soon to come you will have Adobe’s Flash Access that will allow “http
streaming”.

Cheers

El 12/10/2009, a las 15:02, István escribió:

The advantage is that you could do “http streaming” of flv files ala
youtube.

Cheers,

El 12/10/2009, a las 12:08, István escribió:

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM, István [email protected] wrote:

what is the advantage of this over the amazon
cdn, Low-Latency Content Delivery Network (CDN) - Amazon CloudFront - Amazon Web Services ?

Amazon cdn bandwidth is expensive.