Newbie tdd question

I’ve search google and the ruby kitchen sink… I’ve also hunted around
various book stores, and it seems like TDD documentation is primarily
found
for java. Can someone point me to something like Chris P.'s newbie
guide
to get me started with tests?

On Feb 13, 2007, at 5:31 PM, Jason M. wrote:

I’ve search google and the ruby kitchen sink… I’ve also hunted
around
various book stores, and it seems like TDD documentation is
primarily found
for java. Can someone point me to something like Chris P.'s
newbie guide
to get me started with tests?

I’m not sure how helpful this will be, but I did make a screencast
doing Test Driven Development:

http://macromates.com/screencast/ruby_quiz_screencast.mov

I make a few mistakes in there and I’m actually trying to show off
some TextMate features, but maybe the general premise will help.

James Edward G. II

On 2/13/07, James Edward G. II [email protected] wrote:

Wow… and just like that I’m sold on TextMate. That’s infinitely better
than SciTE.

On Feb 13, 7:50 pm, James Edward G. II [email protected]
wrote:

I’m not sure how helpful this will be, but I did make a screencast
doing Test Driven Development:

http://macromates.com/screencast/ruby_quiz_screencast.mov

I make a few mistakes in there and I’m actually trying to show off
some TextMate features, but maybe the general premise will help.

James Edward G. II

Currently the best source on testing is “Everyday Scripting with Ruby
for Teams, Testers, and You”
by Brian M… This book is published by The Pragmatic Programmers.
It also teaches Ruby programming.

This is an hands-on book … you work on 4 projects along with the
author.

bbiker

On 2/14/07, bbiker [email protected] wrote:

to get me started with tests?
Currently the best source on testing is “Everyday Scripting with Ruby
for Teams, Testers, and You”
by Brian M… This book is published by The Pragmatic Programmers.
It also teaches Ruby programming.

But its not a How-to-TDD book (or a learn WATIR book, or a learn
Selenium book).
It does lay the foundations for the core practical skills involved in
TDD. It also
concentrates a lot on the satellite activities involved in testing,
like automating
laborious activities like report generation, or inserting testbed data,
that are
not actual testcases themselves.

This is an hands-on book … you work on 4 projects along with the
author.

I haven’t fully read through it, but there have only ever been 2 books
that
I wanted to follow through at the example by example level - one is the
Agile 2nd ed book. And the other is Brian M.'s book.

I am thinking of making tutorials based around his activities too, so I
can
train up our QAs. And that means that I need to be intimate with what he
writes so I can structure the training.

Jason M. wrote:

I’ve search google and the ruby kitchen sink… I’ve also hunted around
various book stores, and it seems like TDD documentation is primarily
found
for java. Can someone point me to something like Chris P.'s newbie
guide
to get me started with tests?

Can I suggest -

http://rspec.rubyforge.org/ [ examples and tutorial available ]

http://onestepback.org/articles/tdddemo/

http://grayproductions.net/ruby/first_steps.html

On 2/14/07, David R. [email protected] wrote:

http://rspec.rubyforge.org/ [ examples and tutorial available ]

http://onestepback.org/articles/tdddemo/

http://grayproductions.net/ruby/first_steps.html

Very nice. I’m starting to grok now why testing is handy. Thanks!

On Feb 14, 2:57 am, David R. [email protected] wrote:

Jason M. wrote:

I’ve search google and the ruby kitchen sink… I’ve also hunted around
various book stores, and it seems like TDD documentation is primarily
found
for java. Can someone point me to something like Chris P.'s newbie
guide
to get me started with tests?

Thanks for the links below!

Can I suggest -

http://rspec.rubyforge.org/ [ examples and tutorial available ]

This tutorial was very simple, easy to understand. Rspec is my
friend. :slight_smile:

http://onestepback.org/articles/tdddemo/

I’m still working my way through this.

http://grayproductions.net/ruby/first_steps.html

Ran across this one a while back and it helped keep my interest in
TDD.

I had also watched James’ screencast, well worth it.

Mike B.

MOV is Apple QuickTime

On Feb 13, 7:50 pm, James Edward G. II [email protected]
wrote:

I’m not sure how helpful this will be, but I did make a screencast
doing Test Driven Development:

http://macromates.com/screencast/ruby_quiz_screencast.mov

which player is required to view the above link?

I just get a blank screen

thanks

bbiker

On Feb 14, 2007, at 3:15 PM, bbiker wrote:

to get me started with tests?

I’m not sure how helpful this will be, but I did make a screencast
doing Test Driven Development:

http://macromates.com/screencast/ruby_quiz_screencast.mov

which player is required to view the above link?

I just get a blank screen

It’s a QuickTime movie:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

James Edward G. II

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs