Newbie question: HTTP 500 0 errors - no output to browser


#1

Hi,
I asked this question a day or so ago - heres an update.

I’m following the “Agile Web D. with RAils” book and
succesfully built
the application therein. I’ve been banging my head against a wall for a
few days
trying to set up an app of my own following the same procedures as used
in the
book. All I get are 500 0 errors from WEBrick and nothing in the
browser. So…
Ihave a project in d:\ruby\projects\wf. I have three wf databases,
_development,
etc… I scaffolded a model, view, controller on the users table. I try
to access
this at http://localhost:3000/user/list and up comes 500 0 again. Now
the
development log shows nil. I open a console and type User.find_all and
up comes
my data. The dev log now shows " e[4;36;1mUser Columns (0.000000)e[0m
e[0;1mSHOW FIELDS FROM userse[0m
e[4;36;1mUser Load (0.000000)e[0m e[0;1mSELECT * FROM users e[0m
e[4;35;1mUser Columns (0.016000)e[0m e[0mSHOW FIELDS FROM userse[0m
e[4;36;1mUser Load (0.000000)e[0m e[0;1mSELECT * FROM users e[0m"
WTF is going on here?? As I understand it - the output from console
should be
the same as output to the browser? Please help - my head hurts and the
wall
doesn’t look too good either!

Kind Regards,
Eric.


#2

Try deleting all your sessions - if you traced the execution path
you’d probably find that Rails was throwing a fit about not being able
to load objects from the session.

Sessions are stored in /tmp/ruby-sess.* or something quite like it on
*nix/MacOS X - They’re in some hideously hidden M$ directory structure
under Documents and Settings on Windows.

  • james

#3

James A. wrote:

Try deleting all your sessions - if you traced the execution path
you’d probably find that Rails was throwing a fit about not being able
to load objects from the session.

Sessions are stored in /tmp/ruby-sess.* or something quite like it on
*nix/MacOS X - They’re in some hideously hidden M$ directory structure
under Documents and Settings on Windows.

For me, on Windows XP, they are in C:\WINDOWS\Temp with names like
ruby_sess.2a9778de5955c4a9

regards

Justin


#4

Thanks James and Craig for responding. I found the problem and it was,
as suspected, quite dumb - if a little weird. My previous projects
worked perfectly using localhost and 127.0.0.1. This one, for some
reason, required the actual computer name. Given that, everything worked
as expected.
Kind Regards,
Eric