Newbie Help: Agile Rails book's Hello World

Hello everyone,

I’ve just recently started learning Rails and have searched this forum
to try and find an answer with no luck to this seemingly simple issue.
I’m hoping someone out there might be able to help me get on the right
track - so far it’s been days just getting through the installation
process on Mac 10.4 to the point where everything appears to work on
the surface.

First of all, what I’m attempting to do is to go through the book
Agile Web D. with Rails 2nd ed., from the beginning, to
refresh everything. I’m up to page 36 and already I’ve hit a
roadblock. Here’s my steps:

  1. ran “rails -d mysql test3app” to generate a new app.
  2. ran “script/server” in the new directory.
  3. ran “ruby script/generate controller Say” as instructed on page 36
    of the Agile book.
  4. Confirmed localhost:3000 was running in the browser and everything
    looks good. Got this
    output about my app:

Ruby version 1.8.6 (i686-darwin8.11.1)
RubyGems version 1.0.1
Rails version 2.0.2
Active Record version 2.0.2
Action Pack version 2.0.2
Active Resource version 2.0.2
Action Mailer version 2.0.2
Active Support version 2.0.2
Application root /usr/local/src/test3app
Environment development
Database adapter sqlite3
Database schema version 0

  1. Edited say_controller.rb to read the following:

class SayController < ApplicationController
def hello
end
end

  1. Pointed browser at http://localhost:3000/say/hello and got the
    following:

Routing Error
No route matches “/say/hello” with {:method=>:get}

Was expecting:

Template is missing
Missing template script/…/config/…/app/views/say/hello.rhtml
(or .html.erb)

Any ideas?

These steps appear to work fine if I use Locomotive. However, I wanted
to install everything from source so I’d have the latest version and
benefit from all the great new stuff. I just can’t figure out why this
should be a problem in Rails 2 and fine in Locomotive’s Rails v.1.2.x.
So perhaps I did something wrong during the installation process, I
have some ridiculous typo that I’m missing, or else there is some new
way of writing a controller in Rails 2 that I’m not aware of. I’ve
looked all day for an answer so here’s to hoping someone can help me
out here!

And happy new year everyone!

Cheers,
Joe


Joe L.
http://www.sanbeiji.com

On Dec 31, 5:30 pm, Craig W. [email protected] wrote:

I never bought AWDWR 2 but it’s clear that you’re missing some step
somewhere because you generated the controller but not the view template
which of course is the error that you are seeing. Did the book tell you
to create a file app/views/say/hello.rhtml ? and put some stuff into
that file like ‘Say Hello’ ?

Yes, that was the next step in the book and I did try that - created
hello.rhtml inside app/views/say/. Tried hello.html.erb too. Neither
one made any difference and I’m still stuck on the routing error. I
was hoping I would see the template error without the view template
but can’t even get that far.

-Joe

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:18 -0800, Joe L. wrote:

Agile Web D. with Rails 2nd ed., from the beginning, to

Database adapter sqlite3
following:
Any ideas?

These steps appear to work fine if I use Locomotive. However, I wanted
to install everything from source so I’d have the latest version and
benefit from all the great new stuff. I just can’t figure out why this
should be a problem in Rails 2 and fine in Locomotive’s Rails v.1.2.x.
So perhaps I did something wrong during the installation process, I
have some ridiculous typo that I’m missing, or else there is some new
way of writing a controller in Rails 2 that I’m not aware of. I’ve
looked all day for an answer so here’s to hoping someone can help me
out here!


I never bought AWDWR 2 but it’s clear that you’re missing some step
somewhere because you generated the controller but not the view template
which of course is the error that you are seeing. Did the book tell you
to create a file app/views/say/hello.rhtml ? and put some stuff into
that file like ‘Say Hello’ ?

Craig

On Dec 31, 7:39 pm, “Conrad T.” [email protected] wrote:

Hi Joe, try restarting you server.
Good luck,

-Conrad

Well that did the trick. Thank you very much Conrad! Such a simple
thing. So I’m now curious why the restart was required - but no big
matter. It works now and I can add items to my controller now with no
problems. And now I know a little more about this framework.

Now I can enjoy my new year’s eve… :wink: A toast to everyone!

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe, try restarting you server.
Good luck,

-Conrad

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:18:11 -0800, Joe L. wrote:

I’ve just recently started learning Rails and have searched this forum
to try and find an answer with no luck to this seemingly simple issue.

If I may take you on a tangent: subversion, http://svnbook.red-
bean.com/ , you only need the first few bits. I have found it quite
helpful to learn enough subversion to use http://code.google.com/ for a
project.

Subversion pros:

1.) You can roll back to yesterdays code and start over quite easily
2.) You can work from several different computers, or deploy to another
3.) You won’t lose word (code)

Subversion con:

1.) One more thing to learn

-Thufir

I’m going through the same book myself except I’m running things on
Windows Vista.

I had exactly the same problem and had to restart the Mongrel web
Server.

Thanks!

If using Rails 3.0 then before restarting server with “rails server”
edit “config/routes.rb”, and uncomment the following line:

match ‘:controller(/:action(/:id(.:format)))’

then restart server

THIS WAS AMAZING. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Why does no one say anything about this anywhere else?! Thanks neels!

Joe L. wrote:

On Dec 31, 7:39�pm, “Conrad T.” [email protected] wrote:

Hi Joe, try restarting you server.
Good luck,

-Conrad

Well that did the trick. Thank you very much Conrad! Such a simple
thing. So I’m now curious why the restart was required - but no big
matter. It works now and I can add items to my controller now with no
problems. And now I know a little more about this framework.

Now I can enjoy my new year’s eve… :wink: A toast to everyone!

Cheers,
Joe

If using Rails 3.0 then before restarting server with “rails server”
edit “config/routes.rb”, and uncomment the following line:

match ‘:controller(/:action(/:id(.:format)))’

then restart server

Wyatt R. wrote in post #949730:

If using Rails 3.0 then before restarting server with “rails server”
edit “config/routes.rb”, and uncomment the following line:

match ‘:controller(/:action(/:id(.:format)))’

then restart server

THIS WAS AMAZING. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Why does no one say anything about this anywhere else?! Thanks neels!

Many thanks

To answer a previous question, that being, “why do you have to restart
the server after editing the routes”, the reason is because the file
config/routes.rb is read when the server loads, and its information
stored in memory. The application doesn’t want to re-load the routes
file for every request because it just adds overhead, making it take
more time (we’re talking fractions of a second, but that adds up
significantly over several thousand users) to process a request.

As far as your point of taking advantage of all the cool new stuff,
just to let you know, Rails v. 2.x is basically outdated now. Rails
3.0 was released just a few weeks ago (prior version was 2.3.9) and
has a LOT of new stuff - relationships are different (see “Arel” or
“ActiveRelation” - same thing), the database agnosticism has different
ways for doing queries (see “ActiveRecord” version 3), routing is very
different (config/routes.rb as above), and so on.

Given that you’re just starting out, you can install the 2.x series of
Rails as you have above and get along fine - it’ll make a lot more
sense as you’re moving along with the book. But just remember that
the latest and greatest is already a full version release ahead of the
book. This is one major reason I usually don’t bother buying books on
anything related to Ruby - the community moves way too fast for a book
to be relevant, and usually breaks - quite unabashedly - backwards
compatibility in doing so. This isn’t so much a criticism as an
observation, by the way.

Also, to the points about Subversion above - all the points apply to
most modern source control systems and aren’t unique to Subversion.
SVN is pretty awesome and I’ve been a fan of it for years (so this is
in no way meant as a “slam” to the original author for mentioning it,
only an elaboration on it), but the “cool kids club” these days seems
to prefer a tool called “git”. The Ruby community seems to be very
“populist”/teen-girl in its behavior on what tools are considered
“best of breed” at any given moment. I swear to God it reminds me of
junior high - when brand X was popular but you were considered a leper
if you used brand Y. Rewind to 2006 or so and Subversion was all the
rage. Today it’s git. Three years from now, who knows. I don’t buy
the whole “git > svn > perforce > cvs” etc. arguments as a whole unto
themselves - you just need to understand that there are different
tools that work better or worse than another in a given situation
(that being, your workflow), and there are other constraints to
consider in the reality of a multi-user, usually corporate or somewhat-
mature start-up like environment, where you can’t go dicking with
server configs and all the “new shiny” stuff three times a day - you
eventually have to actually get work done, too.

Just thought I’d elaborate on those points to give you some more
information on the general direction of things :slight_smile: Linkage incoming:

Git: http://git-scm.org/
Subversion: http://subversion.apache.org/
Rails Guides - an excellent supplement to the book:
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/

Good luck man!

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs