Newbie: Getting started on Windows XP & MAc OSX 10.4


#1

Hello,

What installs do you recommend for Windows XP and MAc OSX 10.4?

I want to setup Rails as easy as I can.

Thanks

Frank


#2

You can checkout Locomotive for one click installer for MacOS X.
Otherwise, I like to use Darwin Ports.


#3

jamie wrote:

You can checkout Locomotive for one click installer for MacOS X.
Otherwise, I like to use Darwin Ports.

ok, thanks for the help.

Frank


#4

For OSX you should check out Locomotive:

http://locomotive.sourceforge.net/

For Windows, check out Instant Rails:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/

Curt


#5

Frank
> What installs do you recommend for Windows XP and MAc OSX 10.4?
> I want to setup Rails as easy as I can.

On MacOS X, it’s a real no-brainer: use Locomotive
http://locomotive.sourceforge.net/

I would also suggest you download an evaluation copy of TextMate:
although not an IDE, this editor works fine with Locomotive, and offer
you a project wide view of all the project files.
http://macromates.com/

There’s also a very useful - and free - party plugin for TextMate:
http://www.cocoabits.com/TmCodeBrowser/

Alain R.


#6

arav2132 wrote:

Frank
> What installs do you recommend for Windows XP and MAc OSX 10.4?
> I want to setup Rails as easy as I can.

On MacOS X, it’s a real no-brainer: use Locomotive
http://locomotive.sourceforge.net/

I would also suggest you download an evaluation copy of TextMate:
although not an IDE, this editor works fine with Locomotive, and offer
you a project wide view of all the project files.
http://macromates.com/

There’s also a very useful - and free - party plugin for TextMate:
http://www.cocoabits.com/TmCodeBrowser/

Alain R.

Thanks for the tip on TextMate.

Regards,

Frank


#7

Fink for OS X also now supports Ruby on Rails, with current Ruby
(1.8.3),
rubygems (0.8.11), sqlite (2.8.16), sqlite3 (3.2.7), mysql (5.0.15) and
postgresql (8.0.4 and 8.1.0 beta 4) databases.

The nice thing about using Fink is that it is managed using a package
management
system, so as Fink releases newer versions of these packages, it’s very
easy to
upgrade.

Disclaimer, I am a Fink developer and manage the ruby, rubygems and
sqlite
packages :slight_smile:

Regards,
Blair


#8

curt.hibbs wrote:

For OSX you should check out Locomotive:

http://locomotive.sourceforge.net/

For Windows, check out Instant Rails:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/

Curt

Thanks, Just installed instantrails, will try locomotive tonight when I
get home.

I am coming from a JSP, PHP environment. Hoping that rails won’t be too
hard to learn.

Regards,

Frank