Newbie - error running Rails: uninitialized constant Sass::Script (NameError)

Hi all,

I’m following Michael H.'s Ruby on Rails tutorial and stumbled at
Listing 1.7: Running the Rails server on the cloud IDE. After editing
the gemfile and inputting “$ rails server -b $IP -p $PORT”, I get the
below error message.

Does “<top (required)>” mean that I missed a step in the setup? How do I
debug?

Thanks,
Jenny

(link to Michael H.'s tutorial:
Chapter 1: From zero to deploy | Ruby on Rails Tutorial | Learn Enough to Be Dangerous)

/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/sass-rails-5.0.1/lib/sass/rails/helpers.rb:11:in
<top (required)>': uninitialized constant Sass::Script (NameError) from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/sass-rails-5.0.1/lib/sass/rails.rb:8:in require’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/sass-rails-5.0.1/lib/sass/rails.rb:8:in
<top (required)>' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/sass-rails-5.0.1/lib/sass-rails.rb:1:in require’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/sass-rails-5.0.1/lib/sass-rails.rb:1:in
<top (required)>' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:76:in require’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:76:in
block (2 levels) in require' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:72:in each’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:72:in
block in require' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:61:in each’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:61:in
require' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@global/gems/bundler-1.7.6/lib/bundler.rb:133:in require’
from /home/ubuntu/workspace/hello_app/config/application.rb:7:in
<top (required)>' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/railties-4.2.0/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:78:in require’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/railties-4.2.0/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:78:in
block in server' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/railties-4.2.0/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:75:in tap’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/railties-4.2.0/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:75:in
server' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/railties-4.2.0/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:39:in run_command!’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/railties-4.2.0/lib/rails/commands.rb:17:in
<top (required)>' from /home/ubuntu/workspace/hello_app/bin/rails:8:in require’
from /home/ubuntu/workspace/hello_app/bin/rails:8:in <top (required)>' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/lib/spring/client/rails.rb:27:in load’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/lib/spring/client/rails.rb:27:in
call' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/lib/spring/client/command.rb:7:in call’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/lib/spring/client.rb:26:in
run' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/bin/spring:48:in <top (required)>’
from
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/lib/spring/binstub.rb:11:in
load' from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.5@rails4/gems/spring-1.1.3/lib/spring/binstub.rb:11:in <top (required)>’
from /home/ubuntu/workspace/hello_app/bin/spring:13:in require' from /home/ubuntu/workspace/hello_app/bin/spring:13:in <top
(required)>’
from bin/rails:3:in load' from bin/rails:3:in

Hmm, no dice either way.

I tried:

1. Running ‘bundle install’ followed by the rails server command ‘rails
    server -b $IP -p $PORT’.

2. Deleting

gem ‘sass-rails’, ‘5.0.1’,

re-ran ‘bundle install’,

and then the rails server command ‘rails server -b $IP -p $PORT’.

Seems to be the same error both times.

Thanks for the thought. What do you think?

Same error message. Also emailed Mike Hartl. Will report if I solve
this.

I had the same problem, but commenting out the sass-rails gem worked for
me. I was able to do this with both the default Gemfile and the one
provided in the listing.

Also, I found that using the Gemfile in the listing and upgrading to
sass-rails 5.0.2 also worked.

I’m late in my thanks. Much appreciated, Jesus and Drew. hello, world!