Newb - uninitialized constant error


#1

I am a Newbie who has written some Ruby code - it actually works when
‘all in one file’. To make it more re-usable and practice good coding
style, I broke it into 2 - one for classes, one for test code. Call them
‘Textractor.rb’ and ‘main.rb’.

I’ve accepted that it is a simple error, but I can’t track it down. I am
posting so someone who has not stared at the code as long as I have may
see right away what is evading me.

I am working out of the ‘Pickaxe’ book, first edition, as a reference.

I tried Google-ing the error message, but no dice.

I also tried renaming the classes to include reference to the
Textractor.rb. BTW - Textractor.rb is three classes wrapped up in
‘module Textractor’.

If I omitted any key info. needed to diagnose the problem, it’s probably
because I didn’t recognize it as such, which in turn is probably where I
went wrong.

Many thanks.

I keep getting the following error:

main.rb:59: uninitialized constant Main::TextElement (NameError) from
main.rb:56

Now, TextElement is a properly named class in ‘Textractor.rb’.

My code is as follows:

class Main
require ‘Textractor.rb’

Testing Logic Follows

dateElement =
Regexp.new(/(0[1-9]|1[012])/.[/.]\d\d/)

Create a new document

doc1 = TextDocumentPortrait.new(“Document 1”)

THE LINE 56 BELOW GENERATES THE ERROR…:

for count in 0…10

Create a new line, element and add the element to the line

newLine = TextLinePortrait.new("Line " + count.to_s)

…IN REFERENCE TO THE FOLLOWING LINE 59:

newElement = TextElement.new(“Date”, dateElement, “R”)
newLine.addElement(newElement)

Code continues


#2

On Feb 13, 2:41 pm, “Steven R.” removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Many thanks.
class Main
for count in 0…10

Code continues

I think we’d need to see all the code to be sure about the problem.
But since you mention that your code is wrapped in a module, you may
need to qualify references to its members, as in:

newElement = Textractor::TextElement.new(“Date”, dateElement, “R”)
^^^^^^^^^^
Ken


#3

removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I am working out of the ‘Pickaxe’ book, first edition, as a reference.

Thanks, Ken - I tried your solution, but I got:

main.rb:55: uninitialized constant Textractor::TextDocumentPortrait
(NameError)

Here’s the listing of main.rb, including your fix:

class Main
require ‘Textractor.rb’

Testing Logic Follows

dateElement =
Regexp.new(/(0[1-9]|1[012])/.[/.]\d\d/)

Create a new document

LINE 55 FOLLOWS:

doc1 = Textractor::TextDocumentPortrait.new(“Document 1”)

for count in 0…10

Create a new line, element and add the element to the line

newLine = Textractor::TextLinePortrait.new("Line " + count.to_s)
newElement = Textractor::TextElement.new(“Date”, dateElement, “R”)
newLine.addElement(newElement)

Add the line to the DocumentPortrait

doc1.addLine(newLine)
end
doc1.printLines()

End testing logic

end


#4

Put all that in a method:

def your_method()

doc1 = TextDocumentPortrait.new(“Document 1”)

end