New to Ruby... installation questions


#1

Hi all,

I’m looking into installing Ruby on Rails on my dedicated server which
is RH Linux with a traditional PHP/MySQL/Apache configuration.

I’m not an expert Linux user, but I can hold my own. My server hosts
around 15 domains with websites of various complexity, some shops, some
CMS, some completely flat. I’m looking for a tutorial explaining how to
install Ruby on Rails in this environment and the associated pitfalls.
My first and foremost concern is that there mustn’t be any conflicts
with my current environment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Kevin


#2

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 13:19 +0200, Kevin Price-Ward wrote:

with my current environment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?


this will get you through most of it - but that of course there isn’t a
product called Red Hat Linux anymore.

If you are speaking of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you would have to use
RHEL 4 and get some ruby updates which are available from
http://dev.centos.org

As for not having any conflicts with your current environment, I’m not
taking the bait but I would suppose that means that you are running
apache so you would probably want to check out the wiki pages for
installing mod_fastcgi with RHEL 4 on wiki.rubyonrails.org

Craig


#3

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 08:09 -0700, Craig W. wrote:

My first and foremost concern is that there mustn’t be any conflicts
taking the bait but I would suppose that means that you are running
apache so you would probably want to check out the wiki pages for
installing mod_fastcgi with RHEL 4 on wiki.rubyonrails.org


oops - forgot to include the link for the ‘this would get you through
most of it reference’

http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/howto/fc4rails/

Craig


#4

Super link, many thanks Craig. Just got hold of a copy of ‘Agile Web
Development with Rails’ by Dave T. and David Heinemeier H.
which also looks good. I’ve read that fastcgi has some issues with
Apache 2.0, which is going to be a problem as that’s what I run. If I’m
just looking to get started with Ruby, I don’t ‘have’ to use fastcgi do
I? I might just look at setting up a completely new development
environment with lighttpd if these initial trials go well… any
thoughts?

Regards
Kevin


#5

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 17:58 +0200, Guest wrote:

Super link, many thanks Craig. Just got hold of a copy of ‘Agile Web
Development with Rails’ by Dave T. and David Heinemeier H.
which also looks good. I’ve read that fastcgi has some issues with
Apache 2.0, which is going to be a problem as that’s what I run. If I’m
just looking to get started with Ruby, I don’t ‘have’ to use fastcgi do
I? I might just look at setting up a completely new development
environment with lighttpd if these initial trials go well… any
thoughts?


I develop using webrick. I have production mode on a system using apache
w/ fastcgi - so far it seems ok and hasn’t caused any problems but I
respect the fact that many more knowledgeable than I suggest that
lighttpd w/ fcgi is faster than apache w/ fastcgi - so far, speed is not
material.

To start learning/developing, ignore apache, lighttpd, mongrel, etc. and
simply use the built-in webrick web server. You can adjust later.

Craig


#6

webrick is bundled with Ruby isn’t it?

Sorry if this is a really daft question but if I install Ruby on my
linux box which is running apache, how would I start trying out Ruby on
the Webrick web server when my apache web server is answering on port
80?

Cheers
Kevin


#7

I’ve installed ruby, and rails now, all seemed to go fine… can’t seem
to start the server though.

[root@ns bin]# pwd
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.1/bin
[root@ns bin]# ls
about console generate plugin rails server
breakpointer destroy performance process runner
[root@ns bin]# ruby server
server:2:in `require’: no such file to load – ./…/config/boot
(LoadError)
from server:2

Anyone see the problem?

Thanks
Kevin


#8

Doh… hadn’t read far enough in my book. The command ‘rails/demo’
created the necessary server file! All up and running now… hurra!


#9

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 23:36 +0200, Kevin Price-Ward wrote:

webrick is bundled with Ruby isn’t it?

Sorry if this is a really daft question but if I install Ruby on my
linux box which is running apache, how would I start trying out Ruby on
the Webrick web server when my apache web server is answering on port
80?


default port for webrick is 3000 (which is changeable)

Craig