New to RoR, need help with the application in Agile Web Development

Hi All,
I am new to RoR, that will be plainly obvious soon. I am
currently a web developer, with a C++ background, so I have an idea
how to get things to work, but I must be missing something. I am
working on the first application from the Agile Web D. with
Rails, and I am getting an error I can’t seem to track down online.
Hopefully someone out there has read the book. When I try to browse
the localhost:3000/say/hello, I get the error below. I am guessing I
need to do something with sqlite3 in Gems, but not sure. I have MySQL
on here, not sure why I would need both. Any help would rock. Thanks.

MissingSourceFile in SayController#hello

no such file to load – sqlite3

RAILS_ROOT: C:/devcoreyonrails/dev
Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
gem_original_require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:inrequire’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:496:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:342:innew_constants_in’
dependencies.rb:496:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:7:inrequire_library_or_gem’
core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in silence_warnings' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:5:inrequire_library_or_gem’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/
connection_adapters/sqlite3_adapter.rb:10:in sqlite3_connection' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:291:insend’
connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:291:in
connection=' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:259:inretrieve_connection’
connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:78:in
connection' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ query_cache.rb:8:incache’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/
caching.rb:677:in perform_action' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:524:insend’
base.rb:524:in process_without_filters' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:685:inprocess_without_session_management_support’
session_management.rb:123:in process' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:388:inprocess’
dispatcher.rb:171:in handle_request' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ dispatcher.rb:115:indispatch’
dispatcher.rb:126:in dispatch_cgi' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ dispatcher.rb:9:indispatch’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/webrick_server.rb:
112:in handle_dispatch' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/webrick_server.rb:78:inservice’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in service' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:inrun’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in start_thread' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start_thread' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in each' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in start' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/webrick_server.rb:62:in
dispatch' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/commands/servers/ webrick.rb:66 c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:ingem_original_require’
require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:496:inrequire’
dependencies.rb:342:in new_constants_in' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:496:inrequire’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/commands/server.rb:39
gem_original_require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:inrequire’
script/server:3

dependencies.rb:496:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:342:innew_constants_in’
dependencies.rb:496:in require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:7:inrequire_library_or_gem’
core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in silence_warnings' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:5:inrequire_library_or_gem’
connection_adapters/sqlite3_adapter.rb:10:in sqlite3_connection' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:291:insend’
connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:291:in
connection=' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:259:inretrieve_connection’
connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:78:in
connection' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ query_cache.rb:8:incache’
caching.rb:677:in perform_action' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:524:insend’
base.rb:524:in process_without_filters' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:685:inprocess_without_session_management_support’
session_management.rb:123:in process' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:388:inprocess’
dispatcher.rb:171:in handle_request' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ dispatcher.rb:115:indispatch’
dispatcher.rb:126:in dispatch_cgi' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.2/lib/action_controller/ dispatcher.rb:9:indispatch’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/webrick_server.rb:
112:in handle_dispatch' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/webrick_server.rb:78:inservice’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in service' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:inrun’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in start_thread' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start_thread' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in each' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in start' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:instart’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/webrick_server.rb:62:in
dispatch' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/commands/servers/ webrick.rb:66 c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:ingem_original_require’
require' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:496:inrequire’
dependencies.rb:342:in new_constants_in' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:496:inrequire’
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.2/lib/commands/server.rb:39
script/server:3

This error occurred while loading the following files:
sqlite3

Request

Parameters:

None

Show session dump

flash: !map:ActionController::Flash::FlashHash {}

Response

Headers:
{“cookie”=>[], “Cache-Control”=>“no-cache”}

This is pretty common.

You need to get the sqlite3 binary files (sqlite3.exe and sqlite3.dll)
from
http://www.sqlite.org/download.html. Put both the dll and the exe on
your
path. I recommend you place them in c:\ruby\bin

You also need to do this from a command line
gem install sqlite3-ruby

If you’re interested, I have a brand-new tutorial available at
http://www.napcs.com/resources/rails/cookbook/index.html that helps you
get
started with Rails. There are some other issues you’re going to run
into
with the Agile book - it’s an awesome book but it’s a bit out of date.
You
need to use an older version of Rails to make that book work, and the
tutorial I wrote touches on that.

Good luck!

If you look in config/database.yml, you’ll find it’s set to sqlite3 as
a database adapter.

You need to either set it to mysql, or install sqlite.

Julian

Learn Ruby on Rails! CHECK OUT THE FREE VIDS (LIMITED TIME) VIDEO #3
OUT APRIL 6
http://sensei.zenunit.com/

I believe if you create your project using the “-d mysql” switch your
databases will automatically be created in mysql instead of sqlite.
(correction welcome)

Ken

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs