New here on ruby-talk


#1

hi, I am very interested in learning Ruby and wanted to say hi to the
community here.

My background is lot of perl(means I spent lot of time on it but not an
expert at all) and tiny bit of c but also want to learn ruby and so far
I have read “learn to program” by Chris pine(which btw, I immensely
enjoyed; originally heard about the book from interview w/ Chris pine at
perlcast which I really liked).
I am internet freak and stay connected at all time.( I am very active on
posting as well ).
I just got done ordering “Developing facebook platform applications w/
rails” and “Agile Web D. with rails” and looking to poke around
the ruby more.

My question is however is rub-talk mailing list gear towards newbie like
me or is there another channel that I should apply on?

Please let me know.

thanks!


#2

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Richard removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

hi, I am very interested in learning Ruby and wanted to say hi to the
community here.

Hello and welcome!

My question is however is rub-talk mailing list gear towards newbie like me
or is there another channel that I should apply on?

This mailing list is fine for any level of rubyist. Just be sure to
put your Rails specific questions on the rubyonrails mailing list,
they’ll generally be ignored here.

Regards,
Michael G.


#3

Michael G. wrote:

expert at all) and tiny bit of c but also want to learn ruby and so far I
or is there another channel that I should apply on?

will do.

thanks for the welcome notice!


#4

Richard wrote:

My question is however is rub-talk mailing list gear towards newbie like
me or is there another channel that I should apply on?

All we ask is you try every question with Google first. You will find
endless answers (most of them valuable!) to such questions as “What’s
the
Best GUI for Ruby?” or “Why Does Duck Typing Suck?” Just don’t ask
those
recividous questions again, thanks!


#5

Phlip wrote:

Richard wrote:

My question is however is rub-talk mailing list gear towards newbie like
me or is there another channel that I should apply on?

All we ask is you try every question with Google first. You will find
endless answers (most of them valuable!) to such questions as “What’s the
Best GUI for Ruby?” or “Why Does Duck Typing Suck?” Just don’t ask those
recividous questions again, thanks!

Well, no and yes. Certain topics have little about them that will
likely change over time. For example, adding static typing to Ruby. (I
hate to suggest that any topic is off-limits, but out of general
courtesy people should give some thought as to whether what they post is
going to add to the general thread pool, and so much has been said about
a few topics, such as static typing, that new posts tend to be more
noise than signal. But who knows?)

Other question topics do change over time, such as available Web
frameworks, GUI tools, Ruby implementations, etc. Relying only on past
discussions will give an incorrect impression of choices and quality.

That said, it is well worth searching to see if a question has been
asked recently, in which case asking it again would be mostly
annoying.

It’s also very helpful to avoid vague terms such as “best”, and instead
include specific, objective (when possible) requirements, and to
indicate some familiarity with past postings (so people don’t waste time
telling you things you already know).


James B.

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding
www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys
www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation
www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff