New Agile Web Development with Rails beta

Folks:

I’ve uploaded the B1.14 version of AWDwR.

The only major change here is a revamp of the Action Mailer chapter,
and the
removal of the Web Services chapter.

I’m still in two minds about the latter: it’s a great chapter, but
the core team
seem to be deemphasizing Action Web Service, and the book is already
longer than
I’d like. My plan is to put the existing Web Services chapter up for
free at
some point so you can still get to the content.

Again, I need to stress that the book is written on the assumption
that the reader has
Rails 1.2 installed. As that doesn’t yet exist, you HAVE TO HAVE EDGE
RAILS
for some of this stuff to work. Some folks like the following
description
of working with Edge:


edge-rails/

As usual, the update is available for free from

http://books.pragprog.com/titles/rails2/reorder

Enter just two of the three pieces of information to identify your PDF.
I recommend using your order number and your email address, as these
tend
to be be the most consistent.

Thanks for your support for this project. Keep the comments
coming in.

Cheers

Dave T.

Dave,

Thanks very much for your fantastic book - it got me hooked on RoR and
Ruby and I’ve always been a hardcore Perler.

I’m a bit worried though about the future of Web Services in RoR,
something I use extensively. What’s the story?

Bealach

On Oct 19, 2006, at 1:41 AM, Bealach Na Bo wrote:

I’m a bit worried though about the future of Web Services in RoR,
something I use extensively. What’s the story?

You’ll need to ask the core team. Right now, they’re hot on REST, and
feel that this is the best way to implement inter-application
communication in Rails. However, that doesn’t help when talking to
the legacy world.

Because of that, I’ve added the Web Services chapter back into the
latest beta, released yesterday.

I don’t think web services support is going away. It’s possible that
it might become a plugin in Rails 2.0.

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

In message “Re: Press any key, not any key + enter”
on Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:34:41 +0900, Jon Egil S.
[email protected] writes:

|Use case: Press any key to …
|
|Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any single
|keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

Platform please.

						matz.

|Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any single
|keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

Platform please.

Primary: linux (ubuntu)
Secondary: WinXP

ruby 1.8.4 on both

matz - thank you for your brilliant work on ruby, it’s really
appreciated.
Also, it’s wonderful that you stop by ruby-talk as well.

All the best
Jon Egil S.

Greetings

Use case: Press any key to …

Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any single
keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

All the best
JE

Jon Egil S. wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/b018660fe6a48ca4?hl=en

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Gene T. wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/b018660fe6a48ca4?hl=en

Gene

Thank you for the link. It was both enlightening and a bit discouraging,
but it points me in the right direction.

All the best
JE

On Oct 21, 2006, at 2:34 AM, Jon Egil S. wrote:

Greetings

Use case: Press any key to …

Using gets or getc the user must press enter, how can I read any
single
keypress without waiting for the enter-key.

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/10/01/i-just-want-one-
character

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II

Jon Egil S. wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Gene T. wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/b018660fe6a48ca4?hl=en

Gene

Thank you for the link. It was both enlightening and a bit discouraging,
but it points me in the right direction.

you could also look at the python approaches in Win32 and *nix:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-August/355683.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/msvcrt-console.html

http://pyfaq.infogami.com/how-do-i-get-a-single-keypress-at-a-time
http://pyfaq.infogami.com/how-do-i-check-for-a-keypress-without-blocking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, James Edward G. II wrote:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2006/10/01/i-just-want-one-character

Hope that helps.

Very nice, works flawlessly on both Linux(ubuntu) and WinXP.

Thank you James.

All the best

JE

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs