From: Nobody [email protected]
To: Someone [email protected]
Subject: Test SMTP

i pray that itll work
MESSAGE_END

Net::SMTP.start(‘mx1.hotmail.com’) do |smtp|
smtp.send_message message, ‘[email protected]’, ‘[email protected]
end

This was one example, i receive no errors indicating a problem but when
checking my email IE: [email protected] i dont have it in any
folders, not inbox or junkmail.

Another version that i modified to fit my own needs was this ----

require ‘net/smtp’

puts "Sender: "
sender = gets.chomp
puts "Recipient: "
rcpt = gets.chomp
puts "Message: "
msg = gets.chomp

smtp = Net::SMTP.new(‘mx1.hotmail.com’)

smtp.start()

smtp.ready(sender, rcpt) do |mail|

mail.write msg

end

#########
once again no errors

any ideas why i might not be getting the emails?

Michael L. wrote:

Ive tried several examples from numerous books trying to send mail with
net smtp and i never really get the emails.

require ‘net/smtp’

message = <<MESSAGE_END
From: Nobody [email protected]
To: Someone [email protected]

i pray that itll work
MESSAGE_END

Net::SMTP.start(‘mx1.hotmail.com’) do |smtp|
smtp.send_message message, ‘[email protected]’, ‘[email protected]
end

This example works perfectly good for me.

I would chack if server ‘mx1.hotmail.com’ allows message relaying.

by
TheR

From: Michael L. [mailto:[email protected]]

smtp = Net::SMTP.new(‘mx1.hotmail.com’)

smtp.start()

smtp.set_debug_output $stderr # insert this and email back the result

On Sep 17, 2007, at 12:48 AM, Damjan R. wrote:

I would chack if server ‘mx1.hotmail.com’ allows message relaying.

Agreed… meaning, in your example you are assuming that
mx1.hotmail.com is allowing un-authenticated SMTP. Majority of mail
server require that you perform SMTP Auth before any outgoing
transmission can occur.

embedded documents) is intended for the exclusive and confidential use
of the
individual or entity to which this message is addressed, and unless
otherwise
expressly indicated, is confidential and privileged information of
Rackspace
Managed Hosting. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the
enclosed
material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error,
please
notify us immediately by e-mail at [email protected], and delete the
original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Michael L. wrote:

i pray that itll work

#########
once again no errors

any ideas why i might not be getting the emails?

Does hotmail even allow SMTP usage? I noticed you were trying to connect
to the server mx1.hotmail.com. Try this with a GMail account or other
account, it should work. The following is part of a script that worked
for me, though I haven’t tested it in 6 months. Ruby 1.8 doesn’t support
TLS, so I had to require a file “smtp_tls.rb” that you can find on the
web. You won’t need it if your server doesn’t require TLS.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
require ‘net/smtp’
require ‘smtp_tls’

myMessage = <<END_OF_MESSAGE
From: XXXXXXX [email protected]
To: XXXXXX [email protected]
Subject: XXXXX XXXXXX

This e-mail is a test.
END_OF_MESSAGE

Net::SMTP.start(‘smtp.gmail.com’, 587, ‘localhost.localdomain’,
username, password, :login) do |smtp|
smtp.send_message(myMessage, ‘[email protected]’,
[‘[email protected]’]);

end

END

Good luck,
Dan

Michael L. wrote:

i pray that itll work

#########
once again no errors

any ideas why i might not be getting the emails?

I know I’m not directly answering your question, but there’s a sample on
my blog:
http://notepad.onghu.com/ruby

I think it would be good for you to try to send it to some other email
address, perhaps, you are missing some fields which make your mail look
like spam and is being dropped by something along the way?

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/14/2007 | 12:49 PM.

Quoth Mohit S. on Thursday 13 September 2007 09:49:49 pm:

folders, not inbox or junkmail.
msg = gets.chomp

I think it would be good for you to try to send it to some other email
address, perhaps, you are missing some fields which make your mail look
like spam and is being dropped by something along the way?

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/14/2007 | 12:49 PM.

A lot of ISPs block people from having mail servers on their local
machines,
as this is something zombie networks tend to do rather than joe idiot
user.